Vaccinations?

My question is this - I am planning on hatching my own chickens in the near future, for my own pens and possibly to sell locally, either as chicks or incubator-ready eggs. Is there any vaccinations that are required for this? Or do I just disclose that vaccination status of the parent birds is unknown?

No vaccines are required here in Alabama and probably not in Alaska. The parent does not pass its vaccination status to their chicks so no need to disclose.

If you choose to vaccinate against Marek's your day olds, you might want to tell the Buyer this for their peace of mind [only] & to justify YOU charging a little more for your chicks, that's all. Otherwise, there would be no obligation to pass such information on to a buyer nor would it be any good to do so.

P.S. {It would be helpful if the buyer had other adult unvaccinated birds so he'd know to keep the vaccinated chicks separated for 3-4 weeks so that their Marek's vaccines had time to work. Vaccinated chicks MUST be protected from unvaccinated adult birds or the vaccine will not be effctive as the chicks will get Marek's before acquiring the vaccine protection}.​

Last edited:
Quote:
No vaccines are required here in Alabama and probably not in Alaska. The parent does not pass its vaccination status to their chicks so no need to disclose.

If you choose to vaccinate against Marek's your day olds, you might want to tell the Buyer this for their peace of mind [only] & to justify YOU charging a little more for your chicks, that's all. Otherwise, there would be no obligation to pass such information on to a buyer nor would it be any good to do so.

Thank you very much! You have been most helpful!
smile.png

Yes, thank you - this thread has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Tomorrow I become a chicken mama for the first time! :)

Quote:

This is true for Mareks, but if you vaccinate for ILT you have to tell the buyer because the chickens does become a carrier per Gail Damarows "Chicken Health Handbook" and my state vet (WA). They do have a new vaccine out that does not spread bird to bird. It is called LT-ivax and you can get it at first state vet supply. I though I would share this info because I was sold a chicken with the LT(langrno) vaccination and never informed. Thank goodness I quarintine all my birds. The seller did finally tell me after I had the bird for a few weeks. I plan to vaccinate fo rthat anyways because I will be showing and I have heard from breeders in my area it is prevalant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to keep that in mind in case anyone that purchases a bird from us wants to show it. Can you vaccinate adult birds, or is it best just to do it when they're young?

This actually has become an issue for more research for me, as we apparently are going to become Silver Gray Dorking breeders.
big_smile.png

First, I edited some of my comments in the above posts to be clearer & more accurate. I have been reading about Marek's a lot the last few days (spent 4-5 hours the other day reading).

The reason: I have Marek's vaccine in the fridge now waiting on my first hatch of this spring due March 12 and another hatch is due Easter weekend (Saturday). I have not vaccinated before but plan to on these hatches and hereafter. I hope I never encounter this disease.

Have you shared any of this new-found knowledge somewhere on this forum? I read a little bit earlier today, and the topic sounded familiar. I don't have a problem doing vaccinations for Mareks - I've just not heard of it up here. I also did not request it when I ordered our Dorkings... I wonder if I should modify the order?

They do have a new vaccine out that does not spread bird to bird.

if you vaccinate for ILT you have to tell the buyer because the chickens does become a carrier

This is true for Laryngo vaccine. You must report & your bird becomes a carrier. It is administered either by spray or occular (- one drop in the eye); (or the least effective method, in their drinking water) & you do NOT give it to chicks. I think they must be 8-12 weeks of age at least. You can give the Laryngo vaccine to adult birds & you are wise to give it IF you have an outbreak. You must treat all your birds.

I think there is a Laryngo vaccine made from chick embryos and that's the one that is dangerous. The other is a tissue made vaccine and it is the safe one. The problem is that when you get this vaccine, it does not tell you which one it is ??​

Have you shared any of this new-found knowledge somewhere on this forum?

No, have not shared before on this forum. I had read a lot in the past but gathered all that I had read and read it all again the other day-- all together. I just simply modified my posts above on this thread (added a little more information). HorseJody had some very accurate things to say about administering Marek's vaccine on this thread too (and I didn't see that I needed to add anything to those comments).

IMHO, if you can modify your order on the Dorkings & for "peace of mind," it is well worth the little extra cost-- I would have them vaccinated for Marek's.​

Back
Top Bottom