Vaccines

DanniR

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2018
I've taken in some older birds and do not confidently verify any vaccinations. Can I vaccinate them as old or young adults? Which vaccines? I have hens and ducks in the same boat. Any advice is much appreciated.

I'd be inclined to contact my local agricultural extension service to find out what diseases are prevalent in my area and what diseases they suggest might be considering vaccines for. With that list, you can then read up (or ask the same source) whether such vaccines would be appropriate for your birds, considering their age.

I've taken in some older birds and do not confidently verify any vaccinations. Can I vaccinate them as old or young adults? Which vaccines? I have hens and ducks in the same boat. Any advice is much appreciated.
If you are talking about turkeys, I would not waste my time worrying about any vaccines. I personally don't know anyone that vaccinates turkeys.

Why? They just don’t need it?
Typically if you buy turkey poults from hatcheries, no vaccinations are offered. Most hatcheries offer a Mareks vaccination for chicks which is made from a serum taken from turkeys. The other common vaccination that I see for chicks is for coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom