Valbazen Dosage?

Okay, thanks. I'll have to turn off my automatic door so they can't get out in the yard. Would it work to do it at night? I could do it in the morning, but i would have to wake up pretty early and get someone to help me since not all of my chickens are good with being held or touched (I've got three Sumatras and an egyptian who will scream bloody murdur if you try to touch them). Also, about giving them a little bit of food at a time, I just have my feed in two big feeders, so should I just empty them and pour in a little bit of food throughout the day? My coop isn't completely separated from the run, so would it be okay to just keep them in the run until they can free-range?
Yes you can treat them at night, just withhold feed for 24 hours prior.
You can empty the feed from the feeders into plastic trash bags and save the feed for later. Just give them a little feed at a time 4 hours after dosing, increase feed a little at a time. Then about 8-9 hours after dosing, go ahead and refill the feeders.
Keeping them in the run is fine.

Shortly after dosing your hens, you might be able to see tapeworm parts/sections, or "strings" of tapeworms excreted from your birds. If you dont see any, that means they have been absorbed in the digestive tract.
Keep in mind that not all your birds may have tapeworms, not like roundworms.

Yes you can treat them at night, just withhold feed for 24 hours prior.
You can empty the feed from the feeders into plastic trash bags and save the feed for later. Just give them a little feed at a time 4 hours after dosing, increase feed a little at a time. Then about 8-9 hours after dosing, go ahead and refill the feeders.
Keeping them in the run is fine.

Shortly after dosing your hens, you might be able to see tapeworm parts/sections, or "strings" of tapeworms excreted from your birds. If you dont see any, that means they have been absorbed in the digestive tract.
Keep in mind that not all your birds may have tapeworms, not like roundworms.
As long as its safe for them, I still wanna treat the ones who don't have it just in case it spreads around. Thanks for the advice! I'm not familiar with worming my chickens, so I had quite a few questions lol. I called my local TSC and they dont sell valbazen but they do have safeguard. If i have to, could I use that, since it is cheaper than valbazen?

As long as its safe for them, I still wanna treat the ones who don't have it just in case it spreads around. Thanks for the advice! I'm not familiar with worming my chickens, so I had quite a few questions lol. I called my local TSC and they dont sell valbazen but they do have safeguard. If i have to, could I use that, since it is cheaper than valbazen?
I've used safeguard (fenbendazole) in the past against tapeworms without success. However safeguard is an excellent wormer against nematodes.

Just keep in mind that birds have to eat infected insects in order to get tapeworms. Not all birds eat infected insects, and not all insects are infected.
With nematodes (roundworms,) it's best to worm all birds. Birds get infected by picking up infected eggs from the soil.

One 125 ml bottle is less expensive than a 500 ml bottle of Valbazen, but you have to use a lot more, so it ends up being much more expensive.

I’ve never treated my birds and I’ve never seen worms. I know some people don’t ever worm their birds unless they see them, and some treat their birds a couple times a year just in case. Wondering what you all do?

never treated my birds and I’ve never seen worms. I know some people don’t ever worm their birds unless they see them, and some treat their birds a couple times a year just in case. Wondering what you all do?
I think the answer is very variable. I always recommend a fecal be done whenever possible to verify a worm issue, especially if one has never been a problem before. But many of us worm regularly based on our environments, our flocks' history with worms, and familiarity with the symptoms in our flocks. I can pretty much guarantee that at any given point within a few weeks of worming I will have a positive fecal for roundworms. My environment is loaded with them and reinfection is a regular thing here. Moving is not really an option, so I worm regularly and am very aware of the symptoms in my flock. Other people may have a very light environmental load and worming is not necessary nearly so often. Worms do not always show up in droppings, so not seeing them is not necessarily a clean bill of health. There are some that feel that a 'light' load of worms is not a concern so they don't worry about it. My understanding of how parasites live, feed, and reproduce convinces me that I don't want them in my flock, period. There really isn't any other species that I'm aware of where the recommendation is to let them carry parasites: not horses, cows, dogs, cats, goats, etc. If I didn't already know that I had a worm issue I would get a fecal done every 6 months and if they came back negative then I'd get one done annually, since that's the only way to know for sure. Either by a vet if that is an option, or by a mail in test service, which is about $25. That's just my opinion, and I know there are many different ones.

I use valbazen often. It is the safest wormer on the market. Valbazen kills all known types of worms that chickens can get. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic dead worm overload that other wormers cant. Dosage for standard size birds is 1/2cc given orally undiluted, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing in 10 days unless dealing with tapeworms.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what you mean by unless dealing with tape worms? Does that mean you don’t have to repeat the dose after 10 days?

Use Equimax equine wormer when treating tapeworms. Then repeat dosing in 10 days.

I had valbazen on hand and besides seeing a few rice size worm segments in one single poop, I saw no other signs so I just used that. Was just wondering if I need to redose at 10 days. It’s been about 5 since the last and they all are totally normal and I haven’t noticed any other segments but also again I only saw one poop from 5 chickens with minimal rice sized segments in the first place.

what’s your opinion on egg tossing after deworming? Some people say definitely and others say they don’t and haven’t noticed a difference. I tossed them out of precaution but it seems silly to do so after thinking about they had 1/2cc, and that had to stay in their intestinal tract, make it into the egg, make it through cooking, and then make it through human intestinal tract and can still cause us humans a problem? Just doesn’t seem likely to me but who knows.

Back
Top Bottom