Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

I am in...
celebrate.gif
....I'll be hatching Lavender Marans
droolin.gif
, Black Copper Marans, Swedish Flower Hen,..
love.gif
...about 30 eggs!....~Charm

I have had detached air cells before that hatched just fine. Try turning eggs so pointy end is downward and leave them rest like that undisturbed for 2 or 3 days. This has helped me in the past. Best of luck.

i see the photo on the side-what is with the drawing of the air cell lines?

who's had experience with detached air cells? do they usually need help?

Check out this https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101, scroll down for the air cell info, and this other one talks about detached air cells, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs.

Personally, I traced my air cell lines for a couple reasons. I wanted to see the growth over time and also so when they pip I have an idea what is likely the arrangement inside the shell by where the pip is and where the air cell lines are. However, this is my first hatch, so this is just my understanding of things at this point.

Hope this feedback helps in some way!

Whew! That was close! Glad your chickies are ok!!

He's back in the house and he hasn't gone near the brooder...... Yet. The cat I had before never showed interest in chicks at all. She hunted all the time but never bothered my birds. Unfortunately she had a couple strokes and passed away this summer.

i see the photo on the side-what is with the drawing of the air cell lines?

Marking the air cell lets you know if your chick is in the correct position for hatching. If the pip hole is in the air cell the chick is in the right position. If it is below the air cell or even at the other end of the egg the chick may need some help hatching. At least that is my understanding of it.

Hemorrhoid cream to stop the bleeding, thats a new tool to add to my chickening toolbox.
Thanks paris_r I always like to learn a new trick.

My misaligned pipper hatched finally, and I had an EE pip and zip all the way through the middle of the shell as well. Made me a nervous wreck. The EE laid in a ball with its head tucked and rolled around for the first hour, adding to the drama. Finally I said, well, lets give it time and see. I went back to check on them just now and both are fine and dandy. Just goes to show ya! I am glad that I read that post about assisted hatching and alignment and decided to keep my hands out of the incubator and just watch them.

Not a one of my LAs have pipped yet. All I have left now is the seven LAs and one remaining BY mix EE out of the 8 that went into lockdown.

Let me tell yas, I am going to sleep WELL when this hatch is over. I am feeling a bit drained at this point. However, made for a very nice Valentine's Day.

Wind blowing like crazy, bitter cold coming in. Power has flickered out three times. I have a Brinsea with 26 eggs in, as well as the babies hatching and hatched in my other bator. Really concerned we may lose electiricty tonight and have to try to keep the two bators warm by the wood stove. Dang! Wishing for my boredom from about 12 hours ago.
I see you are in Asheville. I'm in Smithfield. It's just east of Raleigh. The wind is blowing crazy here too. Power has blinked and I'm trying to come up with a plan to keep the babies warm also.

Last edited:

Here are my Valentine babies. The 3 yellows are from my white leghorn covered by my mutt rooster. There's one more of the same still in the bator, but it pipped at the wrong end so I'm standing by and slowly offering help. The lone buff chick is an ee mix. I got those eggs from a local person, but I'm not hopeful for any more to hatch from those eggs. Sadly, I had one chick hatch with massive prolapse, and I had.to put it out of misery. It was the first time I've had to do that. So sad. I wouldn't have if there had been any hope.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom