Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

I finished up my hatch and unplugged the incubator. I couldn't see well enough to toss any during the hatch so they waited until the end for eggtopsies.

Eggtopsie Results on 21 eggs
Clear-17
early dead-4

Set- 24
Hatched- 3

Finally managed to get a picture thay didn't look like a big fuzz ball.

Last edited:
My final numbers:

77 eggs set

20 pulled at candling due to no development
57 made it to lockdown
52 pips
1 pipped in the middle of the eggs and probably drowned (never zipped)
4 never pipped, (one quit around day 19, two were fully developed but never pipped, and the fourth was from my ancient hen so I didn't do an eggtopsy because it just looked nasty)

Had 51 hatch. One died in the brooder overnight due to unknown causes, so I ended up with 50 chicks I need to sell. LOL

My hatch rate: 51/57 = 89% Not too shabby!

@misfitmorgan I will PM you my stats and photos tomorrow.

I felt so bad. i was going to come home early due to a cold front and put Shampoo (my 9 month silkie old first time mom) in with her babies but first i stopped off at the hardware store for some heat lights and the pharmacy for some peroxide for dirty butts (Shampoo's especially!). i went inside to check on the babies in the tote in the bathtub and found one squashed and looking lifeless next to the food dish-inches away from the heat platform.the house was probably around 55-60 ambient temp. this was a sizzle baby from the HAL that i had to assist yesterday. i was convinced it was dead but when i picked it up it wasn't completely limp, it made a jerky motion. no sound though and just moved its beak a little. i quickly put it into the incubator while i got out the heating pad and a baby blanket. once the pad was warm i put the baby on it with the blanket over it and cupped it in my hands, it was so cold. i talked to it and about 5-10 mins it made a few more movements and the ragged breathing transitions to smooth and it BEGAN to shiver. about a half hour into it it began finally to peep. he/she is fine now. i figure it was so new that it couldn't figure out to return to the heat platform like the others, what we need is for someone to invent a heat unit that responds to distressed peeps with a mothers call.

i believe i hatched 3 sizzles and 2 sizzled showgirls for the valentine weekend, all early. they were supposed to all hatch today at 1:30 AM, all my mille fleur D'uccles are now LATE! i candled them and they all look fine but they are late. they were set at the same time as the sizzles......

Back
Top Bottom