Value of a heavy laying Auracana hen?

I would say $20 a hen. My neighbor's dog did the same thing and they paid...willingly. Yeah, it's great to forgive and forget but at the same time, if my dog did the damage, I'd pay and then some. If I spilled juice on a rug, I'd want to pay for cleaning, If my kids broke a window with a baseball......I'd tell them "it's consequences"....
smile.png

Quote:
Isn't that gonna cost a fortune? Hardware cloth is really expensive.

Well it would but I got a 500' roll for free recently...

:)That's what I was thinking-ask her to put the money towards a fence that prevents you from having to go through this again. If it were me, I would offer to help (hoping she did't take me up on it, but the safety of your chicken familly is the most important). I'm sorry this happened to you-good luck!

Just met with the neighbors. I supplied them with a roll of 3ft wire to top the fence. They are going to do the work and supply all else to make it happen. They also offered to pay for new chicks and I will take them up on that as I'm not rich...

We are working this out. Thanks for all the input folks. I do appreciate the suggestions.

B-D

So sorry for your loss. I agree with the other posts. I would do a little research and find out what the birds are going for in your area. Prices may vary depending on where you live. A neighborhood dog dug under my fence and killed one of my hens. I haven't been able to find out who the dog belongs to and have seen it on my property since but have the word out that if I see it around my birds it is going to be a dead dog. Now I have electric wire around the outside of my fence with 6000 volts. I know it works. A possum tried to dig under the fence and got zapped. That possum let out a scream. I don't know if it screamed because of the jolt or surprise.

2 hens =1 dozen colored eggs per week, min $2.50 / dozen x 52 weeks / yr = $130.00
Have your neighbor pay for for raising the fence also, since she can't control her animal!

Back
Top Bottom