Vancouver Island, BC Breeders??

katiemdenne

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Campbell River
Hi there,
I'm on the hunt for good breeders on Vancouver Island OR relatively close by (who will ship at a decent cost). I'm wanting day old chicks if possible.... My preferred breeds are ameraucana, maran, Plymouth rock, rhode island red, dorking, and australorps. Also, what is a average cost for good quality chicks from a breeder around here? Do breeders generally ship out of province?
Thanks for any and all suggestions
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks so much!!! Can't wait to check them out
smile.png
also, I'm new and have no idea where the pm's go haha so I'll look around today for it
smile.png

I'm coming back after almost a year of not being on here and just trying to find where one would find a PM for them. I know how to send them but forgot how you know you have received them. Once you figure it out, PM me back just to remind me where to look.

smile.png
Dawn

Hi Ladies! where are you in BC? I'm in Invermere! I'm looking for BC breeders, I don't care if they are near Van or not. I just wish there was someone different I coulod deal with than the outfit outside of Edmonton. So I'll check out the posted links

Quote:
Hi Caat! I live just outside of Nelson. We just drove through Invermere a month ago coming back from the Red Deer Poultry Show back in December (bless my partner's heart as he went just for the road trip cause he was worried about me driving east in the winter). Spent our last night at Fairmont Hot Springs during a beautiful snowfall. It was my first time there and I loved it. Affordable this time of year. So as not to hijack Katie's thread I'll send you an email seeing that the PM thing is vague. I know tons of breeders in Canada - mostly private but also, there is a somewhat reputable hatchery in Ontario called 'Performance Poultry'. There are some frustrations with them but I think they're minor.

Katie, I'll email you what I said in your PM.

Quote:
Hi Caat! I live just outside of Nelson. We just drove through Invermere a month ago coming back from the Red Deer Poultry Show back in December (bless my partner's heart as he went just for the road trip cause he was worried about me driving east in the winter). Spent our last night at Fairmont Hot Springs during a beautiful snowfall. It was my first time there and I loved it. Affordable this time of year. So as not to hijack Katie's thread I'll send you an email seeing that the PM thing is vague. I know tons of breeders in Canada - mostly private but also, there is a somewhat reputable hatchery in Ontario called 'Performance Poultry'. There are some frustrations with them but I think they're minor.

Katie, I'll email you what I said in your PM.

Yay!! I love the hijack!! It's wonderful to hear from other locals and make some connections!!! I'm brand new: no chickens, coops, eggs as of yet!!! Just 16 acres of land!
smile.png
I live in Campbell River on the island.
smile.png

I moved to Nelson from Quadra Island just two years ago! I love it. I know Campbell River fairly well. Not the people though. Well a handful only.

Happy to help you get up and running when you're ready with coop building advice, etc. My partner has built me 3 coops in the last year and a half. I just discovered the world of poultry when I moved to Nelson and just love them so much.
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee

A fantastic book to get is, 'Raising Chickens' by Gail Damerow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom