Vaseline

I've heard that over the years and have wanted to test it. One year I had 5 roosters, same age, same breed in two similar buildings next to each other with huge comparable ventilation so would have been a good test. I'm sorry I didn't do it. Perhaps I will get to do the test this winter.

When I was first told of this, I considered if I had a choice with bare hands at zero F, would I want them to be covered with vaseline or without. I guessed, without but who knows.

You do better to have good ventilation, and deep bedding. My biggest wrecks with frostbite, have not when it has been bitter cold. We tend to be very dry when that cold, but rather, when it has been bitter cold, then we have a big thaw, and a cold snap.

Manure tends to pile up on the floor of the coop and freezes solid. When that thaws, it must really release moisture, and with the following night, that moisture causes frost bite.

This year, I am being religious of sprinkling a little scratch across my bedding once a week or so. My birds will scratch and break up the manure into smaller bits that tend to dry out. They will flip the bedding. That should help with frostbite.

Don't think vaseline, think ventilation and DRY.

Mrs K

Do you do this? If so, how often do you apply it?
I do not.
I would think you'd have to apply it daily.
IMO it's best to leave their combs alone, before and especially after FB might occur.
Messing with compromised tissue easily can make things worse.
Have had both mild and severe FB on combs and wattles here,
they all healed up just fine without any intervention on my part.

Have read a few stories about folks using it an still having FB.
Wish I had saved those posts.

With good venting, no drafts on birds and dry coop you'll not see frostbite on your hens unless you have a large single combed bird like a Leghorn. I'm North of you and only see the tips of single combed cock birds frost. And the tips of cock bird wattles if they dunk them in the water during an artic blast week.

Back
Top Bottom