Vegans of BYC!!

I get what you're saying about leftover soup, @WIchickMama. This recipe makes quite a bit, but I'm lazy enough that I will just keep reheating and eating it until it's gone.
  • 16 oz. mushrooms ($3.98)​
  • 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)​
  • 3 carrots ($0.57)​
  • 3 ribs celery ($0.55)​
  • 1 yellow onion ($0.37)​
  • 2 cloves garlic ($0.16)​
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme ($0.05)​
  • 1/2 tsp rubbed sage ($0.05)​
  • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary ($0.05)​
  • 1 cup brown lentils ($0.61)​
  • 3 cups vegetable broth ($0.39)​
  • 1 13.5oz. can full-fat coconut milk ($2.29)​
  • 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)​
  • 1/4 tsp pepper ($0.02)​

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Rinse the mushrooms to remove any dirt or debris, then slice them into thick slices.​
  • Add the mushrooms to a large soup pot or Dutch oven along with the cooking oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté the mushrooms over medium heat until the mushrooms have released all of their water and it has evaporated out of the pot.​
  • Meanwhile, dice the carrots, celery, and onion, and mince the garlic. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic to the soup pot along with the thyme, sage, and rosemary. Continue to sauté the vegetables until the onions are soft and translucent.​
  • Add the lentils and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir to combine, then place a lid on the pot and turn the heat up to high. Allow the soup to come to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.​
  • Once the lentils are tender, add the coconut milk, stir to combine, and let it simmer for another five minutes.​
  • Finally, taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. We used about ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Enjoy the soup hot with bread for dipping!​
Serving: 1.5cupsCalories: 522kcalCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 19gFat: 31gSodium: 1076mg

I get what you're saying about leftover soup, @WIchickMama. This recipe makes quite a bit, but I'm lazy enough that I will just keep reheating and eating it until it's gone.
  • 16 oz. mushrooms ($3.98)​
  • 2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.08)​
  • 3 carrots ($0.57)​
  • 3 ribs celery ($0.55)​
  • 1 yellow onion ($0.37)​
  • 2 cloves garlic ($0.16)​
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme ($0.05)​
  • 1/2 tsp rubbed sage ($0.05)​
  • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary ($0.05)​
  • 1 cup brown lentils ($0.61)​
  • 3 cups vegetable broth ($0.39)​
  • 1 13.5oz. can full-fat coconut milk ($2.29)​
  • 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)​
  • 1/4 tsp pepper ($0.02)​

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Rinse the mushrooms to remove any dirt or debris, then slice them into thick slices.​
  • Add the mushrooms to a large soup pot or Dutch oven along with the cooking oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté the mushrooms over medium heat until the mushrooms have released all of their water and it has evaporated out of the pot.​
  • Meanwhile, dice the carrots, celery, and onion, and mince the garlic. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic to the soup pot along with the thyme, sage, and rosemary. Continue to sauté the vegetables until the onions are soft and translucent.​
  • Add the lentils and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir to combine, then place a lid on the pot and turn the heat up to high. Allow the soup to come to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.​
  • Once the lentils are tender, add the coconut milk, stir to combine, and let it simmer for another five minutes.​
  • Finally, taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. We used about ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Enjoy the soup hot with bread for dipping!​
Serving: 1.5cupsCalories: 522kcalCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 19gFat: 31gSodium: 1076mg
this sounds amazing, I think I'll have to try this!

I did it....!
I wimped out yesterday, so tried something easier, cake!
I used two duck eggs, and went for it!
It turned out  perfect
20221026_171840.jpg
which is incredibly surprising because I didnt use a recipe, I just threw ingredients together and put the result into the oven...!

But it was perfect! A vanilla sponge (nutmeg was the secret twist ingredient).
I used a vegan buttercream frosting, and it was perfect! A veggan cake. My folks loved it, and I am.... enjoying it, though mildly unsettled still 😂
The girls gobbled up the egg shells of course!

Attachments

• IMG-20221026-WA0027.jpeg
    IMG-20221026-WA0027.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 2
I like reading about what other folks eat who exist on a plant-based diet. So, I've been a big fan of this thread, which has been pretty respectful of everyone's beliefs and opinions, their reasons for or against eating animal-based products.

Open discussion is great, but I feel as if the thread is veering off course a bit when religion and faith are debated. I enjoy learning about various religions ( I have one myself!), how individuals see their place in the world, how and what they worship. But some of humanity's great wars have been fought in the name of or under the guise of religion.

Religion can be weaponized because no matter how much, how fervently or what any of us believes, we truly cannot PROVE it until after we are dead. At which time, I am sure none of us will be posting on BYC.

I may be in the minority here, but I would rather read about a good recipe for curried chickpeas than Biblical/religion debates -- which I might join if on another thread.
Thank you, very well said.

I believe everyone should take supplements regardless of their diet, to be honest. I think its the best way to avoid deficiencies, deficiencies that both vegans and non vegans are able to obtain. And commercial meat is pumped full of these nutrients, and you could argue that a lot of what you get is second hand, all I'm doing is taking my nutrients directly through a different form.

I will say though, that I believe these supplements are  part of the plant based diet, not separate from it, but included. After all, they're just extracted, condensed nutrients taken from the plants we eat and need! Nothing wrong with doing that.
I think you make a good point. Plus, we all dislike certain things so could be lacking in certain nutrients as a result.

Its my dad's birthday, I spent all day making and decorating cakes, including this tower of cupcakes! Dairy free, eggless icing, all vegan except for my ducks eggs in the cake itself.
Some glazed, some butter icing, creamy frosting, and some with fondant decorations
IMG-20221107-WA0019.jpg

Although its 7pm and he isnt home yet, havent seen him all day....
Anyone want a cake? lol

Back
Top Bottom