Vegans or Vegetarians on BYC

kerusnak

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2015
South Mississippi
I have been either vegan or vegetarian for 10 years. My reasons are for ethical concerns, health reasons and I just don't care for meat. I have been pretty militant vegan in the past and it caused me a lot of stress and restrictions. I felt like I was putting too much pressure on myself to follow rules and decided to choose a more flexible lifestyle. Living in Mississippi I don't think I could ever eat out or at someone's house (and eat healthy) being vegan. I try and with a curry allergy that wipes out a lot of ethnic choices I do my best. My philosophy is when I'm at home I choose to buy vegan products and cook healthy plant based meals. When I am not at my house I do the best I can. That being said I don't think I would have ever thought I'd decide to raise chickens. As it stands now I don't eat eggs unless I'm out to eat and I eat say pancakes with eggs mixed in. My husband eats eggs (and meat!) but is a picky eater. I just love animals and thought chickens could bring us so many benefits. I'm not sure if I will ever eat their eggs myself but know plenty of people who will. I have learned to be open minded about other's eating choices, if I expect you to respect mine then of course I should respect everyone else's. I will offer meat and cook it for my husband and guests in my home. I find being open minded encourages more vegetarianism from my friends and family then when I've acted like the vegan princess who expects everyone to understand and agree with my choices.
Anyone else here living a meat free lifestyle? I am looking for support and advice on the topics and raising chickens so I'd prefer not to hear anything rude about anyone's lifestyle choices.
smile.png

Also if anyone is interested in recipe swaps I have a ton of delicious plant based ones to share!

I raise chickens for the same reason: I love the birds, and all animals for that matter! The eggs are just a bonus. Not to mention, if you grow your own vegetables, chicken manure is great fertilizer. I myself am not vegan ( I just can't live without steak! =D), so I don't really know what you are and aren't supposed to eat, but if you can/want to eat eggs, fresh eggs are definitely a better and healthier choice than the hormone-injected, tasteless store-bought eggs. Even when baking, cakes and other stuff tends to be fluffier with a better texture. Good luck with your birds!

frow.gif

I'm second generation so I've been a vegetarian my entire life. I've been on again/off again vegan for a few years now. I can't stand the taste of milk and have never really been a huge fan of eggs. I do eat cheese on occasion in addition to yogurt.

The majority of my birds' eggs are given to neighbors or end up being fed to the dogs.

frow.gif

I'm second generation so I've been a vegetarian my entire life. I've been on again/off again vegan for a few years now. I can't stand the taste of milk and have never really been a huge fan of eggs. I do eat cheese on occasion in addition to yogurt.

The majority of my birds' eggs are given to neighbors or end up being fed to the dogs.

Awesome, I don't know many 2nd gen vegs! Nice to meet you

I've been vegan for over a year now and I also raise chickens for the purpose of the animals. I am actually about to adopt five more hens who were rescued from battery cages in an egg factory! I do eat my chickens eggs but that it. I won't eat any others weather they are cooked in something or whole.

I've been vegan for over a year now and I also raise chickens for the purpose of the animals. I am actually about to adopt five more hens who were rescued from battery cages in an egg factory! I do eat my chickens eggs but that it. I won't eat any others weather they are cooked in something or whole.

That's awesome! How do you find rescues? I see around here the animal shelter sometimes has them but I guess not very often.

I went on petfinder.com and they had something like 400 hens that were rescued from California. You can put in your area code and I'm sure they'll have some near you!

I'm a long time vegan. My family is ovo-vegetarian. But they only eat the eggs our rescue hens lay.

I love chickens. Of all the pets I've ever had, chickens are the best. They are smart, funny, low maintenance, and really appreciate kindness and effort put into making their lives better. It sounds strange, but chickens are grateful creatures!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I feel the need to connect with other veggie people occasionally. It can sometimes be a lonely and isolating lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom