Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

From what I understand, this was a big push in the movement for backyard chickens in general....

Quote:
My vegetarian diet, and my own desire to eat in a way that has less of an impact on the planet, is what got me into raising chickens as well. It was the path that led me to BYC forum as well.
smile.png

Quote:
Don't Do Vegan. They can't eat anything... Not even Eggs!

try to Be vegetarian, dont Eat: Poultry, Cow, Pork, Lamb or Fish ( If you Choose )

stay away from, Gelatin, Glycerol, glycerin And Steric Acid ( In Stuff like Gummies And cake )

Be A brethren!

... Yank ...

I've been a vegetarian for about 7-8 years now? I started some time between when I was 8 or 9 years old so I don't remember when really. I didn't find it that hard to do especially after seeing certain pictures and videos if you know what I mean. I know there's humanely raised animals for meat now but it still doesn't sit right with me. Trying to be vegan was a whole different story though, it was too hard to be that strict with everything but I still think about it once in a while. I find people are more uptight about eating meat around me than I am about them doing it which is definitely weird. It's always them apologizing for it even though it doesn't bother me since it's their choice and as long as they can respect mine too we're all good. I have gotten the panic stricken faces though when people have offered me meat forgetting that I'm a vegetarian. The only time it really gets in the way at all is when I'm out with friends and McD's/Burger King/DQ etc are the only places around and I haven't had a thing to eat for 20+ hours. Slim pickins on those menus and not a lot of alternatives most of the time.

I am an omnivore but sometimes go on "vegetarian binges" where I don't eat a lot of meat, but I find I am also not getting enough protein that way, either. Having had gastric bypass surgery, I have to consume about 80 grams of protein a day and cannot see how I can do that with a plant-based diet. I have tried, believe me, but in order to get that much protein in, I have to eat at least double the carbs I need & I always gain weight, UNLESS I go ahead and eat fish and eggs and cheese, which I don't mind at all! It's just that sometimes, I'll try a "vegetarian diet on for size" to see if I can fit more plant-based foods into my daily intake.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas. And yes, I have found quinoa and am totally in love with it! I make a really good salad with cooked red and white quinoa, red onions, shredded mint leaves, shredded cilantro, chopped fresh mango & chopped fresh cucumber with a little lemon juice & olive oil. Yummo!

Quote:
Gastric bypass reduces your ability to digest food (smaller amounts, and slightly shorter time), which is not conducive to eating plant-based diets unless you commit to having a protein shake every day. When I was "being good" about what I ate, the volume of food I'd consume in a day would be more than you could handle in a week. That worked for me, but after gastric bypass surgery, I don't see how that'd work for you.

hmm.png

I'm a vegetarian, but I'll eat with friends that eat meat and my husband eats meat (sometimes). It's a personal thing for me, and I don't press it on others. But vegan isn't for me - my chickens are well treated and I'll certainly eat their eggs!

Classic, Aqua. I have a pic with a bird on my shoulder as well.
80433_the_girl_4.jpg
And I'm from NY. All I can say is I will never eat a chicken again. To me it would be like eating my dog, or horse, or cat, or budgie...
In the words of Kurt Cobain 'it's OK to eat fish 'cause they don't have any feelings'. I don't have any fish.

Last edited:
Quote:
Gastric bypass reduces your ability to digest food (smaller amounts, and slightly shorter time), which is not conducive to eating plant-based diets unless you commit to having a protein shake every day. When I was "being good" about what I ate, the volume of food I'd consume in a day would be more than you could handle in a week. That worked for me, but after gastric bypass surgery, I don't see how that'd work for you.

hmm.png

You have to commit to having a protein shake every day after gastric bypass surgery anyway. Because I'm not a vegan, I use a whey-based protein drink (actually several... they have some pretty yummy flavors out there & I had to try them all LOL), but I also have an unflavored soy protein powder that I use, as well.

And you would be surprised at the volume of food I can consume in a day.

I don't think I could do the vegan diet, but I do go "vegetarian" for a while every now and then and still eat eggs, cheese, honey, jello, and fish. But then I get a hankerin' for roasted chicken or some other kind of meat & I'm back to omnivorous eating. I used to beat myself up about it, but then it was pointed out to me that humans do not have flat, square teeth that herbivores have, nor do we have an herbivorous digestive system. Our bodies are designed to be omnivorous, and if you ever doubt that, all you have to do is look at your own teeth. The solution is right there at the very beginning of your alimentary (digestive) tract. We were given meat-eating teeth for a reason.

Far be it for me to argue with my creator. But that's just me. Everybody has their own reasons for going vegetarian or vegan & I completely respect that choice.

Back
Top Bottom