Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yankeedoodle300, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    True. Alot of the soy meats are "Hit or misses"

2. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    [​IMG]

I'm not vegitarian but I like reading this thread for ideas. (we do not eat a lot of meat. It's healthier that way) And hey, even my smiley is eating a veggi friendly snack.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I agree. I love this thread. :thumbsup

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I tried the Boca Chicken Patties. The chickens and cats WON'T be getting any of these. :drool :drool :drool

I LOVE THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Trader Joes carries meatless Corn Dogs that are fantastic.

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Boca Chikn patties are excellent and thanks for the corn dog tip. On my Amy's Cheeze pizza I'm putting slices of Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage "sausage". It's the best!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    The Chicken Patties are amazing! [​IMG]

8. blessedchick

blessedchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2011
    OMG you guys/gals! I just found this thread and you're making my stomach growl! [​IMG]

Off to the kitchen to rummage around for some snap peas and carrots...snack of choice for the moment!

9. veganurbanfarm

veganurbanfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    Ferndale MI
    I just joined BYC last month and of course someone recommended I check out this thread. I have been vegan for almost 8 years, vegetarian for one year before that, and my little burb just amended the chicken ordinance. My wife wasn't too hot on the idea at first, for many of the same reasons the ordinance opposition had (too loud, attracts vermin, etc.) but I convinced her that these chickens would be like pets and she went for it.

My big problem right now is trying to be tactful around my friends and coworkers who keep asking me stupid questions! I am getting a lot of "when are you starting?" which is fine, but I have one coworker who keeps insisting that she "gets the first slaughter." I have worked with her for 3 years and yet somehow she doesn't get that my being vegan would obviously mean no killing chickens. And of course there are plenty of people giving me grief about the eggs. While we are still about a year from actually having the foul in our yard, we haven't finished talking about whether or not we will use the eggs. The way I see it, what is more vegan and animal friendly than keeping happy little chickens as pets and occasionally using the eggs they lay that would otherwise just end up in the compost heap? Whether we do or don't consume them, I'm really just tired of having to answer the question to others!

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you other vegans do about the eggs your chickens lay? In Ferndale, we will only be allowed 3 hens and no roosters because of the close vicinity to our neighbors, so none of my eggs will ever be fertilized. I pla n on using most of them to supplement the cost of owning the chickens. Let me know how the rest of you would handle this scenario.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Oh, I forgot about pizza. Mmmmmmmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by