Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

On a different, non-egg note. . . anybody ever try chia seeds? They make a great puddingish kind of breakfast or dessert. Yes these are same seeds they use for making the chia pets.
They are supposed to be ancient Aztec superfood! LOL!

Anyway, mix 2 tablespoons of chia seeds which you can get in a health food store with 1 cup of any type of milk of your choice (almond, coconut, soy etc.) stir and let set for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. It will thicken up. Add cinnamon, raisins, dates, apples, whatever for fruit or nuts that you have handy. Delicious.

I love Chia seed pudding! Like a lot.

We just celebrated Thanksgiving a little early with family this year, we have several vegetarians so we made every dish vegetarian, these are the two standouts that the meat eaters even loved so I thought I would share.

The first dish was a pumpkin potato deep dish pie which originally came from vegetarian Planet Cookbook but I found it online here http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Deep-Dish-Potato-and-Pumpkin-Pie/ Added more cheese to it but other from that it was fantastic as written!!!

Second was the gravy recipe, it was the best vegetarian gravy I have made, and I have tried MANY. I found it here http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-vegetarian-gravy-281357 Make sure you use Tamari it is better IMHO (I use gluten free san j brand, it is awesome) The meat eaters thought is was a chicken gravy! I use vegi broth instead of bouillon cube and real butter instead of margarine.

HAPPY EATING!

I am psyched -- just joined a vegan meetup group in southern Maine where I live and a raw food meetup group and signed up for 2 events. One is an early Thanksgiving potluck to share food and recipes, and the other is to go to our new juice/smoothie vegan restaurant in Portland with a group for brunch.
yesss.gif
I need some like minded folks around here, so I don't feel totally out there. LOL.

I'll share some thanksgiving recipes when I have them.

i have question, those who are vegetarians, are you ovo-vegetarians? it's funny how keeping chickens has made me think i should either eat my own, or none at all....and i am obsessed with the unfertilized egg quandary (as, most vegetarianism is rooted in spirituality, rather than diet, yes?) things that make me go hmmm!

i have question, those who are vegetarians, are you ovo-vegetarians? it's funny how keeping chickens has made me think i should either eat my own, or none at all....and i am obsessed with the unfertilized egg quandary (as, most vegetarianism is rooted in spirituality, rather than diet, yes?) things that make me go hmmm!
frow.gif
. I used to be a Lacto Ovo vegetarian. I was never big into eggs but at first I was a little bit obsessed with them all being unfertilized. After some time had pass and I did more research it didn't bother me in the least bit.

frow.gif
. I used to be a Lacto Ovo vegetarian. I was never big into eggs but at first I was a little bit obsessed with them all being unfertilized. After some time had pass and I did more research it didn't bother me in the least bit.
hmmmm, what was it that changed your mind, if you don't mind me asking? i think of it as a biproduct.... what else would happen to it- sit and rot, or attract predators, or worse yet, turn chickens cannibal and less chicks being born. sound thinking? i'd love some more thoughts on the subject. as well as, does that mean you do have a rooster?
eggs, especially fresh eggs, are SO yummy! and probably my primary source of protein.

I gave up meat, then chicken, then gluten products, then fish, then dairy, and eggs were last on the bye bye list. Luckily my girls stopped laying about that time. LOL.
Anyway, I never ate fertilized eggs and don't have a rooster. I have thought though about the quandary that if you eat a fertilized egg, although it isn't a chicken yet, it has that potential. Does that somehow make it meat?

Now I don't even cook - doing the raw and sprouted routine. Just came back from an eight day vacation out of the country and it was difficult to stay on healthy raw food. We had lots of delayed/cancelled flights and spend the equivilent of 4 full days in airports. Most larger US airports are getting better related to being able to buy salads and fruit, but I was in some small foreign airports that had no food or only sold chips and drinks. By my return flights, any food I had packed was long gone, so it was not pretty. During my vacation, I ate feta cheese, had a small bite of fresh bread, some chocolate dessert, and some sips of coffee with cream. I felt pretty bad and it's been 5 days trying to get myself back into my regular routine.
I'll need to plan ahead differently in the future. Bring more nuts and dried fruits for travel which could hold me over a bit when the better choice isn't available.

hmmmm, what was it that changed your mind, if you don't mind me asking? i think of it as a biproduct.... what else would happen to it- sit and rot, or attract predators, or worse yet, turn chickens cannibal and less chicks being born. sound thinking? i'd love some more thoughts on the subject. as well as, does that mean you do have a rooster?
eggs, especially fresh eggs, are SO yummy! and probably my primary source of protein.
I don't mind in the least. The easiest way would is to just keep an open mind and do your research. In my opinion a egg is not an animal. It's just a bunch of cells. Though honestly the best thing for me was keeping the Wolf Dogs. Before them I would never keep any meat in my house at all. Now I always have an entire freezer full of meat for them on hand. I'll admit at first it was very hard on me to be around it all. After awhile it became less of a issue and I don't view it in the same "dirty" way anymore and looked at it as more of a natural thing.

I eat my fertilised eggs, I guess that most of the time the hens would just leave them in the box and not bother to try and hatch them anyway. If an egg had been accidentally left under a broody for a few days I would have to leave it hatch as it would have started to develop. I try not to think about it too much. Am struggling a bit wth the milk issue, I mainly use soya but I find it better to cook with dairy and I also buy it for my non veggie boyfriend. I also love cheese, but I saw on tv about them killing the male calves at birth and they showed a pile of bodies... Also, are humans the only creature to knowingly drink the milk of another species? When i think about it I am put off. It can be difficult sometimes having to cook 2 separate things for dinner although my boyfriend does eat veggie half the week now.

I eat my fertilised eggs, I guess that most of the time the hens would just leave them in the box and not bother to try and hatch them anyway. If an egg had been accidentally left under a broody for a few days I would have to leave it hatch as it would have started to develop. I try not to think about it too much. Am struggling a bit wth the milk issue, I mainly use soya but I find it better to cook with dairy and I also buy it for my non veggie boyfriend. I also love cheese, but I saw on tv about them killing the male calves at birth and they showed a pile of bodies... Also, are humans the only creature to knowingly drink the milk of another species? When i think about it I am put off. It can be difficult sometimes having to cook 2 separate things for dinner although my boyfriend does eat veggie half the week now.
I had to laugh at the statement about whether creatures other than humans will knowingly drink the milk of another species. They will if they have access to it. My lactating milk goats would drink any milk they could reach. Pigs will drink milk with relish, and so will chickens. In times past, milk was routinely fed to chickens and other poultry.

Whether bull calves are killed at birth depends on the price of drop (newborn) calves. I don't know about Wales, but here in the US the price of drop calves goes up and down like a yoyo. Sometimes you can't give them away, and other times they are going for over $100 apiece. Why the difference, sometimes in a span of just a few weeks or months, is anyone's guess. I used to raise calves and I sure never figured it out.

As for soy milk, I feel the same way about it as you feel about real milk. I am not at all convinced it is even good for a person. There is no way I would even feed it to pigs, let alone drink it myself. We all have our little quirks.

Back
Top Bottom