Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Yes, but I have heard people say it's in the "dairy" category and I don't understand why. Can anyone who knows explain? I'm so confused about the eggs.
Because they are often found in the dairy case at the supermarket? I think the correct term is ovo lacto vegetarianism. This means a person who does not eat meat or fish, but will eat eggs and dairy products.

The China Study is the biggest, most comprehensive nutritional study ever conducted. The study spans over twenty years and compare the standard American diet, or SAD (do you know how much I love that, haha) with the diets of those living in 65 counties in China (where they consume very little animal protein). Coronary heart disease, diabetes, leukemia, and cancers of the colon, lung, breast, brain, stomach and liver are actually considered Western diseases. Yikes! It's an amazing book and has absolutely nothing to do with animal rights. They just want people to stop dying from something so preventable. That some people eat crap and live to be 90 is amazing. Some people may smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day and die of something completely unrelated, but we would never, ever, advocate for smoking. It's the same with food. Just because some dodged a bullet doesn't mean we should be placing others in the firing line.
They don't eat that much in the way of sugar and refined wheat flour, either.

Yes, but I have heard people say it's in the "dairy" category and I don't understand why. Can anyone who knows explain? I'm so confused about the eggs.

Because they are often found in the dairy case at the supermarket?  I think the correct term is ovo lacto vegetarianism.  This means a person who does not eat meat or fish, but will eat eggs and dairy products.

So they aren't really dairy then. :/

So they aren't really dairy then.
hmm.png
Nope.

'The China Study' is as scientific as your average pop-sci magazine. ie. It is not, and it indeed bends to agendas and monetary forces. http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/ Saying that book is not tied to AR is as fallacious as claiming the PCRM is not strongly linked to the AR group that shall not be named on this forum.

Terrible science and heavy anthropomorphizing aside, I was reminded of the difference between commercially grown and either home or small-scale grown produce two times this past week. We just moved states, so are in the process of refunding local food sources and restarting a garden. At the grocery store, I was buying a bell pepper. The commercially grown bell peppers smelled like nothing at all (or perhaps like wax). The organic ones at least smelled like peppers. The commercially grown brocoli had completely hollowed stems (not the cracked stems, but completely hollow) and yellowed heads despite being on ice. We found local brocoli that remained a rich green even after being cooked, and tasted amazing. The stems were not hollow to boot. The difference never ceases to surprise me.

Last edited:
Can you make a vegan diet work? Certainly. Is it natural? No. I stand by that. Humans, however, can and do subsist on just about anything. That is one reason we have been so successful as a species.

Two things that modern people eat that, in all probability, really aren't good for them, are sugar and refined flour. Both of those things can be eaten on a vegan diet. I am not saying you do, or should, but you can and still be vegan. Whether or not it is a good idea is another thing entirely.
I don't know who told you that our bodies don't need sugar is misinformed, so you better tell them so they're not confused. We actually need sugar. Maybe not desserts or high fructose corn syrup, but out bodies need to break it down for sugar. When you get too much of it, it's another case completely. It goes straight to your fat reserves and your body burns off the sugar instead of your fat and that causes you to not lose weight and instead keep it on or gain more.

Back
Top Bottom