Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Hi folks,
How's the vegan/vegetarian thing going for those of you who are new to this lifestyle?
I don't know if I went vegan for the same reasons as other people on here, but ever since I did I've been feeling better both mentally and physically. I've lost 10 lbs (didn't really need to, but hey! It's a plus!), I've followed through on my moral beliefs and can't say "That's so horrible! Can I try some?". I would recommend this diet to anyone. If money is an issue, it's really simple to find cheaper alternatives as I know it can get pretty pricey.

Even if you don't support/follow these websites, Peta and Humane Society of the United States both have vegan recipes. I sign up for the weekly Meatless Monday recipes that are vegan from the Humane Society of the United States. I'll post some every now and then.

Froyo_Popsicle_Thumb.gif

• Prep time: 5 mins
  • Servings: 8 Popsicles
Ingredients

• 1 cup diced strawberries
  • 2 cups vegan yogurt (try WholeSoy's unsweetened plain yogurt)
  • 2 Tbsp. vegan chocolate chips (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds (optional)
Instructions

1. Combine the strawberries and vegan yogurt in a bowl. Add the chocolate chips and almonds and stir.
  2. Pour into Popsicle molds and freeze. (If you don't have Popsicle molds, you can use ice cube trays.)
  3. Enjoy!
Notes

I used to fear making desserts. Can you blame me? In my family, the oven was used only during Christmas or when my mom wanted to hide candy from me and my sister (never worked, by the way!). But everything changed when I discovered how easy it is to make no-bake desserts like these super-delicious and refreshing Popsicles. Yep, that's right—you can satisfy your sweet tooth without making your kitchen 100 degrees. What's not to love about that? Jump on the froyo craze by making these super-easy and delicious vegan Popsicles!

Read more: http://www.peta2.com/recipes/strawberry-froyo-popsicles/#ixzz2RgZZPJ70

Hello- I am new to BYC and am getting so much important information here!

I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian since 1996 so 17 years. I just wanted to introduce myself. I've not read all 88 pages of posts but I have read enough to be excited about learning new recipes etc. I also thought that this would be an appropriate place for these thoughts:

I know that most people, especially chicken folks who would be on this website, are against animal cruelty. My issue is that I don't want to read about it at all. If I ate meat, then reading about it would be important for me to realize the cruelty that goes into putting meat on the table.I'd have to decide what was acceptable--mass slaughter of billions of chickens in factory farms - or eating a chicken after giving it a good life and then a quick death, etc. For me personally, the death of one of my chickens will result in a funeral, not a dinner. I never expect others to feel the same way!

That said, keeping chickens as a hobby is the strangest thing! I've had many types of animals over the years and love to learn all I can about them. This is the ONLY time I've ever had to worry about running across information on how to kill and eat the animals. This is so hard! I bought the Dummies Guide to Chicken Health and had to rip out and destroy the whole chapter on how to kill chickens. I look at magazine ads and see: chicken feeders, oyster grit, and...killing tools?! Does anyone else have that problem? I'm reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer which is really good but I have to skip my eyes over the paragraphs on what he finds in factory farms.
I mean really, I've read countless books on dogs, cats, and parrots and never have I seen anything like: when your dog no longer fetches a stick, here are some ways to kill and eat it.

Just wanted to get that off my mind! No offense intended to meat-eaters. But think about it, why is it that Americans find it acceptable to eat chickens and pigs but not dogs or horses? I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone- my friends just say "they taste good".

Hi, welcome to BYC.

I have been ovo lacto vegetarian for about 26 years and my chickens are my pets, if one dies I bury it in the garden. I think it is purely a cultural thing as to what animals people find it acceptable to eat depending on what part of the world we live in. People freaked out here recently when horse meat was found in convenience foods but I found it strange that they were prepared to eat one species and not another. My meat eating boyfriend patiently puts up with me lecturing him and although I will cook meat for him he has been eating far less recently and the majority of the time is quite happy to eat veggie food (with the exception of tofu!).

Hello everyone! I've been extremely bust the last couple of months and haven't been on here much. Reading and catching up today.
Hope all the gardeners are having a better time then I am. Nothing but rain here for the last few weeks and all my seedlings we wiped out
1f612.png
! I try to grow as much as I can so we have tons of our own food for the warmer months. Going to start more seeds this weekend and keep my fingers crossed they make it this time. I'm in Connecticut, so a little late with some stuff that needs to be in by now.
Someone had asked about a few things that are a basic staple for beig vegan & I think the thing I always try to have on hand is nutritional yeast. Getting by the bulk and place in glass jars is the best way to save $ when getting it. Though I have bought some of the seasoned stuff that the kids wil sprinkle on everything they can find.
Attempting to grow my own quinoa this season (fingers crossed!) I heard it does better in cooler temps so that could be a plus for me. LOL since it wont be up for awhile. There are so many ways to use/make it and we use a lot so any I can grow will be great.
For those looking for some great non GMO seeds that really grow and are delicious botanical interests has always been a favorite of mine.
As for chickens as pets. Mine will always be my babies, and it was disheartening to find most books/articles else where online include the killing aspect. I don't know why the books are called 'pet chickens' and still have the killing part in there lol Raising Chickens I could see. It's just another reason I stay here in BYC's forums because you don't have to visit any that you don't need/want to. Everyone is so awesome with helping and guiding you to other places for information... Honestly who would want to look anywhere else?!
Having pet chickens does make people question your sanity sometimes, but I've never cared for the labels people throw at me anyways. No one cares when you have a horse or cat but what kind of crazy person has chickens? Well thankfully I've now converted a few friends in to crazy chicken families
1f603.png
& they do use the eggs, but have found what amazon pets they really are. Oddly enough these two families don't eat chicken anymore. They do use the eggs, and eat turkey
1f61d.png
?! I'll have to get myself a pair of turkeys and take care of that issue soon LOL
Have to run for now, but would also lle to share some recipes if anyone is looking for something specific or even hair a certain veggie they'd like to use differently.. I'd love to share

Is there any physical difference between how you feel on a daily basis when you're on a vegan diet vs a vegetarian one? I am not either but have considered a vegetarian diet. My issue is I'm very weak when it comes to eggs n cheese. Lol. Plus. I have chickens n adore fresh eggs.... Any idea's?

Since I am neither vegetarian nor vegan, I should probably not comment. I will anyway. I suspect how well a person tolerates a vegetarian diet depends a whole lot on their own individual physiology. Some people do fine without meat and some certainly do not. My step sister has been a vegetarian for many years and she is happy with it. She never has been much of a meat eater even when she was a child. However, when I stay with her and eat like she does, before long I lose energy and feel terrible. As for a vegan diet, if you want to follow it, fine, but it isn't a natural diet for our species. There is not a single primate I know of that follows a strictly vegan diet. They all eat at least some animal protein in the form of grubs, birds' eggs, insects, etc. and chimpanzees occasionally even hunt and kill other animals for food.

Hi Dolphinlvr4 !
I've been veggie as a child, and the became vegan in my twenties. My children are vegan & husband veggie (has dairy in some things & eats eggs). We have only seen doctors for sports injuries, because we had to, to get a note to return.
I think most people end up being sick or having issues when they are not eating healthy. Being vegan you can eat oreos & fritos, and of course some prepackaged meals, all of which contain things that aren't really good for you. Processed foods in general cause health issues.
If you are thinking about changing your diet, I would do it slowly and just by adding a few changes daily. Any change can make you feel blaa until your body is able to be free of the toxins. That's why most people feel really crappy during the second to fourth day of a cleanse. Veggies clean your body out and it can even make some people depressed for a week or two.
This is a good site with info on how and why it's best to be veggie/vegan:

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html

If you'd like someone that has recipes and random info posted, Elena's site is great !!
http://www.vega-licious.com/

Back
Top Bottom