Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Quote:
Have you tried Daiya? I am not vegan, so I still occasionally eat cheese, but Daiya is pretty darn good. And not even soy based. melts just like cheese. Taste is more buttery than cheesy but is the best cheese sub I have found. Almond cheese was by far the nastiest. And I love yogurt, but in order to make a good soy yogurt it seems it must have a ton of sugar to set up right, and I try to avoid that. So greek cow yogurt it is.

My DH, while not veggie, was grossed out when I made a turkey a few years back before I went totally veggie. He's one that if it shows up already sliced he'll eat it, but if he has to look at the dead animal whole, even cooked, he gets squicked out. So no turkey needed for us!
smile.png

I am not vegetarian but my husband is and we are raising both kids as vegetarians also. That means that I rarely cook meat at home simply because it isn't worth cooking it for one person.

Our vegetarian Christmas dinner will probably be either Pizza or Lasagna. MMMMMMmmmmm Lasagna... I could eat that everyday!

DH and I are both vegetarians. I've been vege for about 16 yrs, about 4 yrs or so of that time I was vegan. I'm not as strict as I used to be, I do sometimes eat yogurt and cheese, and of course I eat my chickens eggs.

I have tried to go vegetarian a couple of times. My problem is if I eat carb's it causes my blood sugar to spike and crash really fast (we are talking down into the 30's). This will happen with every meal. As A result I eat a very high fat/protein diet. I worry about my cholesterol but at this point there is not much I can do about it. Since I was very little I would wolf down all of the protein based stuff on my plate and leave the carbs behind. I have tried the whole complex carb/whole grain thing and I still have the same problem. So for me it's a hunk of cheese or meat with every meal. I did talk to the doctor about it and I am going to be scheduling a glucose test soon. There is no history of Diabete's in my family but my doc thinks I am pre- diabetic. I am not terribly over weight (wouldn't hurt to lose 10 lbs) and I don't eat candy, cakes, soda, chips etc... but very rarely. I have been adding more barley to my diet because of this and eating more fish and skinless chicken.
Nutritionally, hull-less or pearl barley is not too different from wheat in its caloric, protein, vitamin and mineral content. As in wheat, there are high protein varieties. Barley differs from wheat, however, in that there are some varieties high in lysine, the essential amino acid that is most limiting in cereals. Barley is very high in dietary fiber, particularly the soluble fiber portion. The soluble portion contains beta-glucans, the same compound found in oats that has been shown to lower serum cholesterol. Arabinoxylan or pentosans are also found in barley and constitute about one-half of the soluble fiber. Barley also contains tocotrienol, an oil component which has cholesterol-lowering activity.
The barley shorts fraction contains about 18% total dietary fiber, which is approximately 50% soluble fiber. Compare this with white wheat flour, which contains only 3% total dietary fiber, including 1% soluble fiber. Flour in any recipe can be supplemented with whole barley flour or a milling fraction such as shorts to increase fiber.

Studies at Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, have shown that barley, rich in beta-glucan, a form of soluble fiber, is an effective cholesterol-lowering food. Certain varieties of barley have been found to be more effective in lowering serum cholesterol. Waxy hull-less barley, with its higher beta-glucan content, seems to be one of the most effective varieties in lowering serum cholesterol.

Looking up the vegetables that are high in protein I have found the top 8 are all ones that I will gorge on if they are served. Again this says that for some reason my body does not handle carbs well and prefers to use fat and protein to function. All of these vegetable are in my house right now. i do like petatoes but only of they are loaded with fat.

Top 8 high protein vegetables.

Beans
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Brussel sprouts
Artichokes
watercress
sweet corn
Maybe after I get done testing I can figure out away to go a little more meatless.

Back
Top Bottom