Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Quote:
Finally someone who realizes a 'vegetarian' does not eat fish.
smile.png
smile.png
I don't care much about the label itself, but it's annoying to say you are vegetarian and then get served a plate full of lobster since everyone knows fish isn't meat. Hee hee.
smile.png

Nutritional yeast is YUMMY (I never thought I would say that, but it is!) and I bought mine in bulk from amazon.com. Although I eat dairy now and then, I made cashew cheese the other day with nutritional yeast and OMG it tastes just like those cheese log things my dad used to buy at holidays. Port Wine was his favorite, I think. Tastes just like that! Can't remember the recipe off hand, but it was cashews, water, nutritional yeast, ACV and a few other things all blended up. Sounds gross, but it's actually decent - my husband even admitted it tasted like cheese (spread).

Last edited:
Here's the cashew cheeze recipe:

3/4 c cashews
1/2 c water (soak cashews in water for a few hours if possible)
1/2 c nutritional yeast
1 tsp ACV
optional teaspoon sugar
1/2 tsp salt.

Blend until smooth, chill until set. It's better than it sounds!

Quote:
I think a lot of the confusion comes from Catholicism, what with things like Lent and all. I'll use the term vegetarian as a shorthand when explaining the finer distinctions of my diet would be cumbersome, but I also know that my diet isn't 100% vegetarian and I'm okay with that.
smile.png

And oh, cashews. So delicious.

Quote:
smile.png
smile.png
I don't care much about the label itself, but it's annoying to say you are vegetarian and then get served a plate full of lobster since everyone knows fish isn't meat. Hee hee.
smile.png

X2

Quote:
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

X2

I agree... lobsters and fish are living creatures also...

Quote:
Gastric bypass reduces your ability to digest food (smaller amounts, and slightly shorter time), which is not conducive to eating plant-based diets unless you commit to having a protein shake every day. When I was "being good" about what I ate, the volume of food I'd consume in a day would be more than you could handle in a week. That worked for me, but after gastric bypass surgery, I don't see how that'd work for you.

hmm.png

The idea that vegetarians get insufficient protein is a well-perpetuated myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism#Protein

We easily meet and exceed the needed levels of protein.
smile.png

Edited to say: If you have a health issue talk to your doctor first.

Last edited:
Quote:
For a vegetarian, basically everything you would eat but the meat. There are lots of meatless options and even Walmart has Morningstar Farms veggie products and Boca Burgers in the frozen aisle. There are meatless versions of bacon, sausage, hot dogs, burgers, ribs, pepperoni, ground round, the list goes on. Publix has a delicious 'pulled pork' that makes me drool just thinking about it. All my recipes that had meat, I substitute out for veggie alternatives. I make a mean chili with fake ground beef and my meatless meat pies are well-loved.

A vegan's list is much more restrictive. Everything you want you need to make yourself usually, no pre-processed food. No eggo waffles for you - you will need to make them from scratch. It's harder but TOTALLY worth it. Speaking of which, I'll just leave this here: http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/pumpkin-waffles/ Delicious!

I know strides are being made towards vat-grown meat, and I anxiously await that day!
smile.png

Quote:
For a vegetarian, basically everything you would eat but the meat. There are lots of meatless options and even Walmart has Morningstar Farms veggie products and Boca Burgers in the frozen aisle. There are meatless versions of bacon, sausage, hot dogs, burgers, ribs, pepperoni, ground round, the list goes on. Publix has a delicious 'pulled pork' that makes me drool just thinking about it. All my recipes that had meat, I substitute out for veggie alternatives. I make a mean chili with fake ground beef and my meatless meat pies are well-loved.

A vegan's list is much more restrictive. Everything you want you need to make yourself usually, no pre-processed food. No eggo waffles for you - you will need to make them from scratch. It's harder but TOTALLY worth it. Speaking of which, I'll just leave this here: http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/pumpkin-waffles/ Delicious!

I know strides are being made towards vat-grown meat, and I anxiously await that day!
smile.png

Thank you VERY much for this explanation. I understand now. I love all of the Morning star products and the Boca Burgers are just
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

I think I will definitely try some of the "fake" meat dishes.
thumbsup.gif

My 11 year old daughter has recently become vegetarian. I myself am not. I very much feel like a hipocrite, since I am very much for animal rights, and cannot stand the way industry farm animals are raised. Frankly the only reason I am not a vegetarian is because I really don't have enough of a varied diet, and I really don't like veggies, lol! I don't eat alot of meat, but when I do it is usually white meat, like chicken, turkey, or pork. I've looked into organic farms in my area, but it's pretty expensive. Thankfully, my daughter loves veggies, so I know she is getting a balanced diet. She started by not eating processed chicken, after her Social Studies teacher showed the class how chicken mcnuggets were made. Then it progressed to not eating chicken at all, when your's truly opened her mouth about how chickens are usually housed and butchered by the big named factories. Then, I think she finally decided that she just wasn't going to eat any meat, since most of the animals are not treated kindly. I'm very proud of her. She is very passionate about animals, and very hard to convince otherwise, when she has set her mind to something. I have no desire to make her eat meat, as long as she is getting a balanced diet. It reallly is hard to eat vegetarian,if you are on a tight budget. I think that is why alot of Americans that are poor, are heavy. Fattening and processed food is cheaper. I get my daughter the veggie burgers, fake chicken, fake sausages etc. They are not cheap. She also eats alot of salad, which in the summer time is at least a little less expensive. She's faced some teasing for her decision, mostly from her dad's side of the family. They are pretty old school, and couldn't wrap their thick heads around the concept. Grandpa would even tease her, saying stuff like "you sure you want that cookie, there might be animal fat in that?" Let's just say I was less than thrilled when she told me some of the stuff he would say to her about being vegetarian. Her grandma keeps offering her chicken noodle soup, you know, since it doesn't have meat in it.
roll.png
Thankfully, my dad has two step daughters that i've know for years. Both are vegetarians, so accomadating my daughter at Thanksgiving was no biggie. No teasing there. When she first became vegetarian, I didn't have a problem with it. What I did have a problem with, was her trying to force the choice down her younger sister's throat. I truly think she forced her little sister into being a bigger carnivore!
lol.png
She's really calmed down on that. She is always very polite at people's houses, grandparent's included, when she is offered something to eat that has meat in it. She will even bring her own veggie burger, if she knows we are going to someone's house to eat that will be serving meat. I really don't see why people think it is so wrong to be vegetarian. I've noticed my daughter has slimmed down. She was a bit pudgy before. I know some of it has to do with just normal growing, but still. Quite frankly, not sure I've ever seen a fat vegetarian.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom