Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

No Problem. I Hope it's helpful
smile.png

Was wondering what others use as a sweetner when baking--I'm a vegetarian, but I don't eat regular white sugar( when they filter it they use bone char-from animals), I will use cane sugar, or florida crystals, but I generally like to bake using brown rice syrup for a sweetner - as it does not raise raise blood sugar levels after eating it. I have tried z-sweet which is made from erithrothol, but I haven't had good results.

Was wondering what others use as a sweetner when baking--I'm a vegetarian, but I don't eat regular white sugar( when they filter it they use bone char-from animals), I will use cane sugar, or florida crystals, but I generally like to bake using brown rice syrup for a sweetner - as it does not raise raise blood sugar levels after eating it. I have tried z-sweet which is made from erithrothol, but I haven't had good results.

I'm glad that you asked that question. Although I don't know the answer to it, it did make me think about the sweetener that I currently use. I guess raw, unprocessed honey is out of the question for vegetarians since honey comes from bees - - - - > an animal?

Honey is vegetarian. It is a debate in the Vegan world if it is vegan because it's made by the bees but it's not from the bees.

Most vegetarians will use honey - yes, it comes from an 'animal' but so does milk (and eggs). Vegans, however, generally will not use honey although you'll see there's a bit of disagreement on that if you hang out in veggie forums.

As for me, I use stevia for most things, with a bit of real sugar, honey, or agave when the 'crunch' is needed. Erythritol is also good, but pricey and not as sweet.

Back
Top Bottom