Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

I promised my recipe for Vegetarian Toutlerre (French Meat Pie) a while ago and HERE I AM TO DELIVER! :) This can be made without a top pie crust or with (I prefer with)

Vegetarian Toutlerre (French Meat Pie)
Makes: 2 Pies

Ingredients:
1 package boca crumbles/veggie ground round or 1 lb. reconstituted TVP
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
3 eggs, whipped
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 can chopped tomatoes, drained well (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pie crusts and tops (I buy the store dough to save time but feel free to make your own dough)

Directions:

1. In a large pan on medium heat, saute the veggie grounds, onions, half the green onions, and garlic in olive oil until the onions brown.

2. Once the onions brown, mix in the tomatoes and spices, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.

3. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Allow the mixture to cool while the oven is heating up. Grease 2 pie tins and then line them with the pie crusts and set aside.

4. When mixture is cool, add the eggs and cheese and stir around until evenly distributed. Divide mixture between both pie tins, put top pie crust on, and vent the top with an X in the middle.

5. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. Garnish tops with the remaining green onion and serve warm.

This dish is fabulous with potatoes and green beans/peas. There is a lot of versatility in this recipe so play with it and make it your own. I certainly did! :)

I'm really into using alternative items for different purposes. Such as using fruits for beauty products, lemon juice for cleaning for my face,etc

That's awesome! Doesn't your skin dry out from the acid? I am a big fan of using vinegar for cleaning around the house. It's one of the cheapest and best products for a lot of different applications. I also admit that I really like the smell of vinegar...

I use a dilution of lemon juice and water. Sometimes left over fruit juice for a nice fragrance. I also am a huge fan of honey facials. So far none of this has dried out my face.

Just had to mention, I do feed back eggs to my chickens now and then - if I have too many and they are getting old, if I have cracked or defective eggs, etc. I always scramble them and have never had a problem with egg eating.

That makes sense. I was thinking about people feeding raw eggs back to their chickens. I would imagine that if they were cooked first it might reduce the risk of egg eating when you don't want them to. I have been reading a lot of stuff about chickens recently and from what I've read, cannabalism, even in the form of egg eating, can be a huge problem. The one book I've been engrossed in is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. I believe the author is Gail Damerow. It covers everything from breeding to raising and feeding to routine management and predators. It's pretty awesome for a beginner, but the amount of info I'm taking in right now is also a bit overwhelming.

I think my biggest trial will be the coop, since I live on a small lot here in Ferndale and there are a lot of things that are required to keep the rodents out. The city doesn't really seem to be too concerned with the animals or their safety as much as they are worried about extra rats and vermin.

I promised my recipe for Vegetarian Toutlerre (French Meat Pie) a while ago and HERE I AM TO DELIVER! :) This can be made without a top pie crust or with (I prefer with)

Vegetarian Toutlerre (French Meat Pie)
Makes: 2 Pies

Ingredients:
1 package boca crumbles/veggie ground round or 1 lb. reconstituted TVP
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
3 eggs, whipped
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 can chopped tomatoes, drained well (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pie crusts and tops (I buy the store dough to save time but feel free to make your own dough)

Directions:

1. In a large pan on medium heat, saute the veggie grounds, onions, half the green onions, and garlic in olive oil until the onions brown.

2. Once the onions brown, mix in the tomatoes and spices, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.

3. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Allow the mixture to cool while the oven is heating up. Grease 2 pie tins and then line them with the pie crusts and set aside.

4. When mixture is cool, add the eggs and cheese and stir around until evenly distributed. Divide mixture between both pie tins, put top pie crust on, and vent the top with an X in the middle.

5. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. Garnish tops with the remaining green onion and serve warm.

This dish is fabulous with potatoes and green beans/peas. There is a lot of versatility in this recipe so play with it and make it your own. I certainly did! :)

OMG!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO trying this. Thank you for the recipe. :drool

Thanks for sharing.

Oooooooooooooooo, I am SO trying this. Great Tips.
Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup.gif

No Problem just be careful which ones you use because some can irritate some people's skin.

Back
Top Bottom