Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

I promised my recipe for Vegetarian Toutlerre (French Meat Pie) a while ago and HERE I AM TO DELIVER! :) This can be made without a top pie crust or with (I prefer with)

Vegetarian Toutlerre (French Meat Pie)
Makes: 2 Pies

Ingredients:
1 package boca crumbles/veggie ground round or 1 lb. reconstituted TVP
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
3 eggs, whipped
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 can chopped tomatoes, drained well (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pie crusts and tops (I buy the store dough to save time but feel free to make your own dough)

Directions:

1. In a large pan on medium heat, saute the veggie grounds, onions, half the green onions, and garlic in olive oil until the onions brown.

2. Once the onions brown, mix in the tomatoes and spices, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.

3. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Allow the mixture to cool while the oven is heating up. Grease 2 pie tins and then line them with the pie crusts and set aside.

4. When mixture is cool, add the eggs and cheese and stir around until evenly distributed. Divide mixture between both pie tins, put top pie crust on, and vent the top with an X in the middle.

5. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. Garnish tops with the remaining green onion and serve warm.

This dish is fabulous with potatoes and green beans/peas. There is a lot of versatility in this recipe so play with it and make it your own. I certainly did! :)

Thanks for the recipe-it does sound good and it will be something that my DH (not Vegetarian )will also eat. Tomorrow I have to go grocery shopping so I'll be picking up the items to make this.

Last edited:
Would anyone else be interested in setting up a thread in the Recipe section just for Vegetarian and Vegan recipes?

I did until my grains died.Keep some seperate in the fridge. I also like Lifeway kefir from the store.Not the same taste as the real kefir grains.

I used to mix some of the real kefir with some chopped cucumbers,garlic,and sumac.Drinking straight was good too. I always give my kids the flavored lifeway kefir during illness and antibio use.
Does anyone make keifer?

I did until my grains died.Keep some seperate in the fridge. I also like Lifeway kefir from the store.Not the same taste as the real kefir grains.

I used to mix some of the real kefir with some chopped cucumbers,garlic,and sumac.Drinking straight was good too. I always give my kids the flavored lifeway kefir during illness and antibio use.
Does anyone make keifer?

A co-worker had given me some a few months ago but I had them sitting in the fridge until today. I started a new batch today at work. We'll see how it goes.

okay guys, tried a few new things recently..

Quorn naked chik'n cutletts. 2 WW points each (im on weight watchers also, so these things are important to me). These were really good mixed with my smart ones fettuccini alfredo. They do have kind of a processed food flavor though.

Gimme lean ground beef. 5 ww points per half lb. Okay seriously.. yum!

Gardenburger portabella burger. 2 ww points. it was okay...it would be better to just buy a portabella mushroom i think, though

Tofurky italian sausage- 4 ww points. Basil and sundried tomato flavor. My absolute favorite thing EVER. I used to eat these even when i ate meat. Amazing with some hot mustard and sourkraut on a wheat bun.

My next venture is tempeh..

Last edited:
Quote:
Tempeh is awesome. We have a great restaurant that started in Ann Arbor and recently opened a new location right here in Detroit called Seva. They make a TLT (Tempeh, lettuce and tomato) and they char-grill the tempeh so it tastes kind of like grilled chicken! It's AMAZING. Tempeh is a very good product to use for other things as well, just don't expect it to work like meat because it really doesn't. You can sometimes get a good meaty flavor, but the texture is all wrong for a meat-like product.

One of our favorites is the Turtle Island brand Tempeh (the same company that makes Tofurky products). They do a "bacon" tempeh that almost tastes like bacon used to. It definitely smells like bacon! Here is the link to all the Tempeh brand products: http://www.tofurky.com/tempehproducts/marinated_strips.html

And while I'm on the bacon topic, there is a company called J&D's foods whose goal in life is to make everything taste like bacon. If you are really into bacon flavored stuff, this is the place for you. WARNING: Not everything on the site if vegan, but the bacon popcorn is! We buy a case of this stuff every few months because it's SOOOO good. Here's the link: http://www.jdfoods.net/products/baconpop.php

Back
Top Bottom