Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Ok, so I went to the Thai restaurant and I ordered Golden Fried Tofu. It was DELICIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool They served it with their homemade sauce and a peanut sauce. I was very impressed. I guess the Tofu really didn't have a taste but the sauce made it delicious. I was overwhelmed by the items on the menu. I ended up getting Red Curry with all kinds of veggies and Tilapia. I wanted to try the noodles but the Tilapia was calling my name. They have a buffet and it has everything on the menu, so I am going back soon for the buffet and I will be able to try EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions on what to try. I will post when I go back.

Yummy!
droolin.gif

Pad Thai (I like mine pretty hot) and any curry will be amazing.  If your vegan, but sure to specify you don't want Nam Pla (fish sauce), but if your not vegan, I'd let them just do it up for you vegitarian style (w/Nam Pla and eggs both).    Be sure to have them customize to your heat/spice preference.  Thai Food tends toward spicy.....  Be warned.  (Thats why I'm so crazy about it - I'm a reall tongue surfer!  I get my double or triple thai hot, WAY to hot for nearly everyone on the planet not a native to Thailand or India!!)

Thanks for the tip on the heat/spice preference. I got mild and my friend got medium. The mild was perfect. I did have a taste of my friend's medium and it was TOO spicy for me. I'm glad I read your post before going there. :thumbsup

Summer rolls are my favorite Thai/Vietnamese appetizer. Generally they are served with peanut sauce but I prefer fish sauce. Try them with tofu instead of shrimp and they are amazing.

The coconut soup is awesome, it's got a light lemon flavor and usually has mushrooms. I really love coconut milk though so YMMV.

Try the mussaman curry - it's my favorite, very mild and made with coconut milk and potatoes.

Also, a great vegetarian dining tip: at most Asian restaurants you can substitute tofu for anything. If they have tofu on the menu they can substitute the meat out. For example, I love the sesame tofu from my local Chinese take out place.

Another tip: find an ethnic grocery in your area. You will find amazing deals on tofu, fresh greens and herbs, and delicious noodles that really shame our grocery chains. The tofu even at walmart is like 4-5$ - it's .75 cents at my favorite downtown asian market. Generally you will need to drive downtown to find one but they are awesome!

You are absolutely right about the deals on tofu. The Asian store that I found last week sold their tofu for $0.99 while the other stores are triple that price. So from here on out, I am shopping at the Asian store. :) It's 5 minutes from my job.

If you want some help learning how to cook that stuff I can help. ;)

I make Thai food at least once a week and it is better than any of the shops around here... Its all in the sauce! ;) Need help?

INDIAN COOKING!

Ok.. here is the thing... I'm a white lady... my hubby... Indian guy. SOOOO... I'm working very hard to learn Indian cooking (specifically SOUTHERN Indian... yes its very diff rent from Northern). We also don't eat much meat. My hubby sometimes does fish... I RARELY do. About 1-2 a month I do chicken... but to be honest... Id prefer not to because I have a hard time handling meat and I am kinda germ phobic when it comes to handling raw meat. Most of my cooking experience is vegetarian/vegan as I basically spent most of my childhood also vegetarian... my parents weren't big meat eaters. I also tend to do healthier cooking and I don't fry anything. I LOOOOVE to cook and trade recipes... so If you want to trade recipes.. write me!

Back
Top Bottom