Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

What are the top 3 Indian meals a person should try when ordering at a Indian Restaurant?

My favorites are the breads - try the peshwari naan. SO GOOD.

Mutter paneer is my go-to meal, so delicious! I love malai kofta as well, and massaman/mussaman curry.

I love the mango lassi, which is like drinkable yogurt. It's sweet and tart and helps cut the fire when you overspice your meal! :D

My fiancee is a seafood lover and he likes the saffron shrimp - I'm also partial to the fish tikka masala since I'm pescetarian.

If you're interested, this is the menu for our local Indian food place and it is delicious! It does a good job of describing the meals so that may be helpful to you! http://www.memoriesofindiacuisine.com/our-menu.html

Last edited:
Indian food makes me happy....

Appetizers:

Samosas: pastry filled with spiced potatoes and peas
Pakoras: veggie fritters
Samosa Chat: samosas covered with channa dal (chickpea curry), chutneys, a little spicy things...sooo gooood!
Pah Bhaji: mixed veggies with lots of butter served on a buttered bun. This is an Indian street food, and I could eat it all day long

Main dishes:

Dal: any kind of bean dish, cooked a thousand different ways. My favorites are channa dal, a basic chickpea curry; mahkni dal, a black lentil curry, and a chickpea curry with creamy sauce
Saag Paneer: spinach in a sauce made from homemade cheese
Aloo Gobhi: cauliflower and potatoes in a dry curry ( much sauce)

And for south Indian...Dosa, a thin crispy pancake made from fermented lentil dal, served with a variety of fillings. I like masala dosas the best...filled with onions and potatoes and other veggies and spices. Dosas are usually served with a soup call Sambar and two chutneys, one of which is coconut based.

Now I'm hungry.

Last edited:
I've been looking for this thread myself. I've a vegan friend and I got some vegetarian recipes that I'd like to modify a bit for her. I need a vegan substitute for and egg and milk mixture. Any ideas?
Another thing is vegan cheese. Can someone tell me what it's like?

I've been looking for this thread myself. I've a vegan friend and I got some vegetarian recipes that I'd like to modify a bit for her. I need a vegan substitute for and egg and milk mixture. Any ideas?
Another thing is vegan cheese. Can someone tell me what it's like?
For eggs, a lot of people use ground flax seed and water. I forget the proportions, but easy enough to google. For milk, you can use pretty much any milk substitute (almond, soy, etc) for most recipes. Things that specifically need cow milk to 'gel' could have problems, but everything else I make with almond milk works fine.
The only edible vegan cheese I have tried is Daiya - it's not exactly right, but it's the closest I have tried. Some of the vegan cheeses are awful! You can also use nutritional yeast (which I *love*) as a powdered cheese substitute (think parmesan).

Back
Top Bottom