Venison

Almost the meat we eat is venison.We raise a few pigs for meat,too,but mostly we eat deer.6-10 a year.Some we harvest ourselves and some folks bring us.I have one in the fridge now aging.So far 4 days aged.We always use some for steaks,some for stews and grind the rest.We do it all ourselves.We do not add any beef or pork fat to our grind.I brown it in veg oil when using it for chili or tacos.I have been wanting to try canning some.I've been told by some(my mom mostly)that it is hard to can and it will ruin fast.I have a older book that details how to do it but haven't tried it yet.Your recipe sounds so simple.I think I will try some and see how it goes.I should be able to use that for stews or bar-b-que or pulled meat sandwiches.Venison does tend to dry out when baked,broiled and grilled so that would sure help to keep it moist.And it would save my freezer space for the 2 hogs we plan to use for sausage.
big_smile.png

droolin.gif
Nothing is better than canned venison. We can it every year & it is gone within 6 months. I put a slice of onion in the bottom of the jar, pack in the raw venison, add some beef broth, top off w/ a clove of garlic. Yum! We also make venison jerky. Another yum!

I used what little was leftover this morning for omelets, FANTASTIC!

Have you ever made corned venison?

I've never tried it corned. I don't really care for corned beef, but I would try it at least once.

Your recipe sounds so simple.I think I will try some and see how it goes.

You will love it, it is very simple, and the taste is divine. It's not my recipe though. It originated with a friend's grandma. I have to give Momma Shirley all the credit.

We raise a few pigs for meat,

I've been wanting to do this, but Hubby draws the line at pigs...I've been trying to find somewhere that sells the whole hog.

For fresh venison juniper is an often over looked spice. In a dry rub marinade application. Try it, you'll love it

I will definitely look for that. I've never heard of it.

Nothing is better than canned venison.

I totally agree!!!​

BTW,

you can can ground venison also. perfect for use in chili. you simply simmer the ground meat in some water or broth and then fill the jar with HOT meat and broth. process 75 minutes for pints 90 for quarts.

cheers
Jerry

Back
Top Bottom