Vent blew out

JoshJudge

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 21, 2011
Yesterday when I was collecting eggs from the hen house I noticed blood sprinkled in their normal walk path, I thought it was just minor. This morning I went out and a lot more blood everywhere. So I started scanning for any of my birds to have an injury, then I spotted my Penedesenca hen with what it seemed like her vent exploded. Very gruesome looking with manure caked on what was hanging out. I knew she was in to bad of shape to recover so I used the .22 to take her out of her pain.
What would of caused this? I think she must of been egg bound cause she hasn't laid in 4 days. Is there a way to prevent it from happening again? Or is it just mother nature doing a dirty deed.

With all that blood though, sounds like a bit more serious than your average prolapse. I bet she prolapsed and the other chickens pecked at it.
Putting her down was probably for the best.
Unfortunetly there's not too much you can do to prevent it. Don' feed your chickens too much protine as that can cause the eggs to get too big, if you breed, don't hatch eggs from a chronic prolapser. If she was egg bound, killing her was a kindness. You can un-egg bind chickens, but they will often just bind up again eventually.

Yeah she was laying pretty big eggs for the size of her. Im glad I know now that protein can make the eggs to big, I heard it darkens eggs. Ill stop letting them eat from the dog bowl. It sucks I lost her she is the only chicken that I've had that has every shown a sense of intelligence and had crazy cool eyes.

Back
Top Bottom