Vent glee

Sammydove

Chirping
Jul 18, 2020
Looking for a little advice please. I had a chicken point of lay in 2020. Over the summer she has developed thrust around bottom area, I have tried everything I can think off, I've bathed her lots with Epsom salt, plucked her, vitamined her, put her on conditioning foods, wormed her, checked for fleas etc, used thrush cream and natural yoghurt, tried rubbing honey on her visited the vet who told me not to keep bathing her as she may just have to live with this and not to worry. However once again this chicken is a mess on her back end and I am really worried if I leave her she will develop maggots. Does nay body have any advice as obviously I carnt keep bathing her through the winter. Thank you

Looking for a little advice please. I had a chicken point of lay in 2020. Over the summer she has developed thrust around bottom area, I have tried everything I can think off, I've bathed her lots with Epsom salt, plucked her, vitamined her, put her on conditioning foods, wormed her, checked for fleas etc, used thrush cream and natural yoghurt, tried rubbing honey on her visited the vet who told me not to keep bathing her as she may just have to live with this and not to worry. However once again this chicken is a mess on her back end and I am really worried if I leave her she will develop maggots. Does nay body have any advice as obviously I carnt keep bathing her through the winter. Thank you

Photos?

Same hen as back in June?
In those photos it looks like damage to the vent.
Thank you for your reply. Yes this is the same hen. Please see photos below as I really want to help her and our local vet has just said ahe may have to deal with this.

Attachments

• IMG-20220911-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0000.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20220911-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220911-WA0001.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 2
Hard to tell if that's Vent Gleet or just urates accumulating below the vent.

Is there a strong yeast smell or more of an ammonia smell.

Your hen has a bit of a distended abdomen, but with feathers trimmed the abdomen can look a bit larger.

In the other thread looks like she had poop with a bit of blood. Vent was picked or damaged.

Is she acting lethargic?

This is what I'd do. Provide fresh poultry feed, fresh plain water. Stop supplements.
Get fecal float to see if she has worms (treat if needed).
Check to make sure her crop is emptying, look her over for lice/mites.

Do give her a wash up when needed. Apply a barrier cream to the skin to help with any irritation from the leaking urates/discharge.

If the vent was damage, she suffered prolapse or whatever happened with her in the other thread, she may leak some urates for the rest of her life. Your vet may be right, this is something you'll have to tend to on a regular basis.

Hard to tell if that's Vent Gleet or just urates accumulating below the vent.

Is there a strong yeast smell or more of an ammonia smell.

Your hen has a bit of a distended abdomen, but with feathers trimmed the abdomen can look a bit larger.

In the other thread looks like she had poop with a bit of blood. Vent was picked or damaged.

Is she acting lethargic?

This is what I'd do. Provide fresh poultry feed, fresh plain water. Stop supplements.
Get fecal float to see if she has worms (treat if needed).
Check to make sure her crop is emptying, look her over for lice/mites.

Do give her a wash up when needed. Apply a barrier cream to the skin to help with any irritation from the leaking urates/discharge.

If the vent was damage, she suffered prolapse or whatever happened with her in the other thread, she may leak some urates for the rest of her life. Your vet may be right, this is something you'll have to tend to on a regular basis.
Thank you very much this is really helpful. I've checked for lice and mites and none present. Will keep an eye out on her crop. In past thread she had a little blood with a lash egg we are not sure how or why. At the same point this issue started and she stopped laying. I haven't noticed any smell at all during the whole time. She is very off colour today and doesn't seem herself. But over the last few months apart from no laying and the obvious discharge she has been super happy and normal.

Thank you very much this is really helpful. I've checked for lice and mites and none present. Will keep an eye out on her crop. In past thread she had a little blood with a lash egg we are not sure how or why. At the same point this issue started and she stopped laying. I haven't noticed any smell at all during the whole time. She is very off colour today and doesn't seem herself. But over the last few months apart from no laying and the obvious discharge she has been super happy and normal.
With the barrier cream would you just apply vasari etc or sudacream

With the barrier cream would you just apply vasari etc or sudacream

*vasaline
Oh, that explains a bit more.
So she did pass a lash egg? Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct, so possibly some of the discharge you see may be from this condition.
It's not uncommon for a hen with this condition to stop laying due to more lash material impacting the oviduct and/or inflammation and infection.

The distended abdomen may be from a little fluid or even lash material that has been deposited into the abdomen. Hard to know unless you lose her and the internals are examined.
An antibiotic may help with infection and inflammation to make her more comfortable, but unfortunately meds are not a cure.

Yes, anything as a barrier to help protect the skin. Urates and discharge can cause irritation to the skin. Vaseline, Sudacream, A+D Ointment or a natural type diaper rash cream will work.

I'm sorry she's feeling off today. Sometimes when a hen starts having reproductive problems they can have good and bad days. On bad days, see that's she's getting in fluids, see if she will eat just a bit of wet feed or bits of scrambled egg and give her a bit of comfort. On those good days, enjoy her and have a little chat. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom