Vent Gleet and Maggots

LuciWags

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2019
A couple of days ago I went out to check on my chickens and noticed one of them had poop all around her vent area. It was also a little swollen. Other then that she seemed to be okay. I searched up these symptoms and discovered that she may have vent gleet. I put vinegar in her water to help her. I also was soaking her in warm water to clean her vent.
For two days I was unable to clean her. Today I checked on her and found maggots above her vent where her tail starts. I panicked and got all the maggots off and gave her a warm epsom salt bath. She is extremely lethargic now and is pooping a yellow discharge. The wound itself is not that big but there a lot of blood that will not go away. I cleaned it out as best as i could and she is now in the garage with some yogurt to help her and vinegar water. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do because at this point i don’t know if she is going to make it :(
4396196E-E6EF-4887-BA67-CCDFDBD1FFA9.jpeg

Personally I would cull her and put her out of her misery. 😞
If you don't want to do that and she's still eating and normal otherwise and your going to try and make it better then you better put antibiotic on it and in her. Also put a fly deterrent on her to keep the flies away. keep her away from the other chickens and in a quiet cool recovery area. I'm not a expert or anything but I have had chickens recovery from some pretty nasty wounds if that's any comfort. But I can't see if her anatomy was destroyed so I'm not sure about your situation.​

Last edited:
Maggots may keep on hatching out for 24 hours, so I would repeat the warm baths. Permethrin spray will kill maggots on contact. Vetericyn wound spray or chlorhexidene are good to spray on the wound to disinfect it. Flystrike is extremely dangerous and maggots may become internalized. If you can give an oral antibiotic that may be helpful. It is up to you how serious this is, and if she has a chance to recover. Is she eating or drinking anything? In the meantime I would treat flies around your coop, and inspect any other chickens with a messy vent. Here is a good article on flystrike care:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Hi there, I don’t know if your hen ever recovered, but I just wanted to share this info in case it helps. I also had a hen with a pretty bad cause of flystrike (with literally hundreds of maggots) and the one thing that saved her was this: APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. Fill up a bucket, tub, bowl, whatever is large enough to soak her bum in, and the maggots will literally go crawling for the hills (and out of her vent) because they hate the acidity of the vinegar. We did this with our hen, because the maggots were literally inside of her rear and we physically couldn’t pull them out, but as soon as the vinegar touched them, they started dropping right out. It’s a nasty process, but it works. Repeat this process until the maggots are gone, then repeat Epsom baths everyday to help with the healing process. I hope this helps, if it’s not too late.

Back
Top Bottom