Vent Gleet and Sour Crop? SICK HEN

Jun 13, 2022
Hello, I posted on here a couple of days ago but feel the situation has changed. I have a 2 year old ex battery hen called Olive. Yesterday lunch time I noticed her hiding in the corner of the run and not moving. Upon inspection her vent was bleeding and had white discharge poring out. Shes very lethargic, not moving and sleeping a lot. Comb is still red and firm. I believe the bleeding was from the others pecking her vent as I saw was trying to do it, the bleeding stopped and I have placed her in an epsom salt bath and have been washing her vent reguarly. Her crop is also very large and squishy and is barley emptying. Im guessing she has vent gleet and sour crop?? Unless anyone else knows??

Treatment ive been doing since yesterday on advise from some people.
- epsom salt bath
- regular vent washing
- Loxicom as I believe shes in pain
- Poultry Power Drops
- liquid calcium syringed into mouth
- Amoxicillin (which I am thinking of stopping)
- Cannestan Thrush Cream on vent
- ACV in water
- live yogurt.

Are there any suggestions to anything else to try? I am worried about her crop and dont know what to do. The discharge has stopped dripping out but still slightly present. Shes a little perkier today but still unwell. Can she have flucanozole? Working out if its worth a try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Poor girl! If it is gleet/sour crop, you'll also need to feed her yeast meds orally. Get some of the cream from the feminine supplies aisle of your store of choice. Give a half an inch of cream directly to her beak 2x/day for 7 to 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom