Vent Gleet?

crzychicknmom

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2020
One of my ISA browns (almost a year old) has had a very messy bottom. She burst a blood vessel laying a giant egg the other day and had blood from her vent for two days. We immediately isolated her when we saw the blood and she is now comfortably housed on our enclosed porch while. There has been no more blood and she is continuing to lay normal sized eggs, but I am wondering if she has vent Gleet OR if the white stuck to her feathers is just from not roosting while sleeping because of being in the dog kennel to sleep while we isolated her? I'm not seeing any discharge, she's eating and sleeping completely normally, active and pecking around in the straw we gave her to keep her occupied. The only thing I see is crusty white on her feathers below her vent.

We have given her two lukewarm water soaks to remove it and made sure she is completely dry before going back outside (we live in new england and the temps have been very cold and snowy). Also have been putting apple cider vinegar in her waterer and feeding her a little plain greek yogurt.

Any advice is helpful! We want to get her back out with her friends ASAP!

shes perfectly fine. sometimes hens burst a blood vessel whilst laying there eggs. and the white crust is probably just some dried poop. it happen to mine all the time. i just give them a little butt trim they dont mind it. as long as she keeps laying eggs she is ok to go back

Vent gleet is not that common, but it is caused by a fungal infection in the gut. It causes red inflammed skinand a bad odor from the vent. Your hen sounds like she is just having some laying problems, and the white material is probably just white urates, the chickens kidney waste. Leaking white urates can be from damage to her vent. It can cake around the vent. I would probably just keep her cleaned, and watch for more problems. Pictures of her vent might be helpful.

Vent gleet is not that common, but it is caused by a fungal infection in the gut. It causes red inflammed skinand a bad odor from the vent. Your hen sounds like she is just having some laying problems, and the white material is probably just white urates, the chickens kidney waste. Leaking white urates can be from damage to her vent. It can cake around the vent. I would probably just keep her cleaned, and watch for more problems. Pictures of her vent might be helpful.

Here's her vent area, let me know what you think!

You all have been so helpful putting my mind at ease!

Attachments

• PXL_20210127_211237763.jpg
    PXL_20210127_211237763.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 24
After one more clean up of her vent and looking at it more I didn't see any redness of the skin or smell and yeasty smell like you all said so decided to put her back in with the flock last night. Went and checked on her this morning and her vent looks clean and she was happily pecking around and clucking.

Thank you all so much!! Your advice helped me calm down, I can get so worried when they seem off and I'm not sure why!

Glad that she is back with her flock. Giving probiotics in her food can do a lot to help keep up her gut health. Probios powder from feed stores, and several other brands of commercial probiotics for animals are good. A good Greek yogurt given in small portions, such as a spoonful, added to food a couple days a week, can supply many of the probiotic cultures to her diet. To check for the pressence of worms or parasites, you can collect some fresh droppings and have your vet do a fecal float. My vet will let me bring some in with my regular dog or cat visits.

Back
Top Bottom