Vent gleet

Tseeburger

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2022
Hi..I have a Rhode island red that has vent gleet.. I've been soaking and cleaning her and treating with monostat, apple cider Vinegar in water for 3 weeks now.. she is looking better but not totally clear. What else can I try.
Signed frustrated

Monistat topically and probiotics every other day in water.. every other day with apple cider vinegar
I'd feed her a dose of monistat (about 1/2 inch of cream) twice a day for a week. If that doesn't do the trick you can try adding acidified copper sulfate to her water for a few days.

I'd feed her a dose of monistat (about 1/2 inch of cream) twice a day for a week. If that doesn't do the trick you can try adding acidified copper sulfate to her water for a few days.
Thank you.. can you get the acidification copper at the farm store?

Thank you.. can you get the acidification copper at the farm store?
I haven't found it in store anywhere, but you can order it online from a few places including here: https://jedds.com/products/acidifie..._content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

If you do end up using it just be careful to follow the instructions and get the dosage correct (1/4 teaspoon per gallon water) because it is toxic in higher amounts. It is also corrosive to metal so should only be used in plastic waterers.

I haven't found it in store anywhere, but you can order it online from a few places including here: https://jedds.com/products/acidifie..._content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

If you do end up using it just be careful to follow the instructions and get the dosage correct (1/4 teaspoon per gallon water) because it is toxic in higher amounts. It is also corrosive to metal so should only be used in plastic waterers.
Ok Thank you very much! Do you know how long it usually takes for vent gleet to clear up?

Do you know how long it usually takes for vent gleet to clear up?
It varies quite a lot. Hopefully treating her whole system plus butt with an antifungal should get the yeast under control within the week. There are definitely instances of stubborn cases though where it drags on and on, maybe due to the hen's immune system/susceptibility or perhaps due to different types or strains of infection.

Hi..I have a Rhode island red that has vent gleet.. I've been soaking and cleaning her and treating with monostat, apple cider Vinegar in water for 3 weeks now.. she is looking better but not totally clear. What else can I try.
Signed frustrated
Welcome To BYC!:frow

Can you please post photos of your hen, her poop and her vent?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!
I'll try to get some pics tonight when my husband gets home. She was looking a bit better but this morning she looks awful again. Her poo looks nornal. I'm at my wits end at this point. I don't know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom