Vent greet, bullying, prolapsed??

danielamichela

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
This is my first experience with this. My young hen ( she just started laying last week) has blood, gunk, smell, and what looks like egg white coming out of her vent. I found her this morning after she had laid a bloody egg. I have her isolated now and soaked her in epsom salt (with lavender is all I had). Her tail is down and she doesn’t want to move. Any ideas? I don’t have antibiotics in the house, but if there is something I can get over the counter, I will.

Attachments

• 4EBF8EDD-5D70-4B1B-B500-895CEC83F23A.jpeg
    4EBF8EDD-5D70-4B1B-B500-895CEC83F23A.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 21
Ask at Tractor Supply if you are in the US for amoxicillin. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days. She will probably need it if an egg collapsed inside her.

She likely has more egg material or even another entire egg stuck. Give her a calcium tablet directly into her beak such as this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
It will help her generate strong contractions and make it easier to get the obstruction cleared.

It's best to install her in a pet crate on some thick towels to absorb the fluids she's losing. She needs plenty of fresh water to replace these fluids.

Ask at Tractor Supply if you are in the US for amoxicillin. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days. She will probably need it if an egg collapsed inside her.

She likely has more egg material or even another entire egg stuck. Give her a calcium tablet directly into her beak such as this. View attachment 2969374It will help her generate strong contractions and make it easier to get the obstruction cleared.

It's best to install her in a pet crate on some thick towels to absorb the fluids she's losing. She needs plenty of fresh water to replace these fluids.
Thank you for that advice! I’ll definitely look at Tractor supply tomorrow. So, you think it’s an obstruction and not vent gleet? Her vent is contracting a lot, too. And, she isn’t drinking. How do I get fluids in her?

From the little bit of history you gave in your initial post, she probably has a laying glitch. That type of calcium is the best for this purpose as it's easy to digest and absorbs very fast. Try to pick up some if you don't normally use it. I keep a bottle in my run all the time to treat any hen appearing to have an egg issue.

Giving one tablet every day for about a week can often set a new layer on the right track when she gets off to a shaky start. So after she passes the obstruction, keep her on the calcium for a week.

The fact that she's lethargic tells us she's still got a problem. Set her up with the water, and put a little sugar in it. She will be more apt to drink it if you dip her beak. It will elevate her glucose and help her get through this crisis.

I'm not going away. I'll be around for any developments.

From the little bit of history you gave in your initial post, she probably has a laying glitch. That type of calcium is the best for this purpose as it's easy to digest and absorbs very fast. Try to pick up some if you don't normally use it. I keep a bottle in my run all the time to treat any hen appearing to have an egg issue.

Giving one tablet every day for about a week can often set a new layer on the right track when she gets off to a shaky start. So after she passes the obstruction, keep her on the calcium for a week.

The fact that she's lethargic tells us she's still got a problem. Set her up with the water, and put a little sugar in it. She will be more apt to drink it if you dip her beak. It will elevate her glucose and help her get through this crisis.

I'm not going away. I'll be around for any developments.
Thank you! I read to put a crushed garlic clove in her water for A natural antibiotic. She would probably prefer the sugar water! I’ll try that instead.

If garlic worked as an antibiotic, we wouldn't need Big Pharma and their drugs. It's like a lot of foods, having some natural antibiotic properties, but not enough to knock down an infection. I put dried organo leaves in my chickens' feed in winter, it having natural antibiotic properties, but it's not going to cure an infection should a chicken come down with something.

Back
Top Bottom