Vent is enlarged and open

wpagey

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 15, 2015
Pomona CA
Hi, our 3 year old Rhode Island Red hen had diarrhea for several days, and today when catching and examining them for monthly dusting, I saw the vent is blackened and open—it looks like I can see innards! She’s been eating and drinking, but not hanging out with the others. Uggg… is there anything I can do, or should we just let her go? Her eggs had thin shells for the the last year or so, and they always have access to oyster shell
1680737495793.jpeg

Have you tried soaking her in dish soap to soften and clean off her vent to see exactly what the damage is? A photo, being two dimensional, doesn't allow for much detail, at least for my old compromised eyes.

We need to know how much is dried blood and which is necrotic (dead) tissue. If indeed her innards are hanging out and have dried up and died, she would be better off having you end it for her now, rather than a slow, painful death.

If, on the other hand, it's just dried blood and it washes off, and no intestines are hanging out, she could heal with proper care. You would need to keep her vent most with a topical wound treatment so the tissue heals.

Have you tried soaking her in dish soap to soften and clean off her vent to see exactly what the damage is? A photo, being two dimensional, doesn't allow for much detail, at least for my old compromised eyes.

We need to know how much is dried blood and which is necrotic (dead) tissue. If indeed her innards are hanging out and have dried up and died, she would be better off having you end it for her now, rather than a slow, painful death.

If, on the other hand, it's just dried blood and it washes off, and no intestines are hanging out, she could heal with proper care. You would need to keep her vent most with a topical wound treatment so the tissue heals.
Thanks for answering so quickly. I haven’t tried any soaking/cleaning yet, it looks as large as the opening on a chicken from the supermarket! There aren’t any innards hanging out, but it’s really disturbing and can’t imagine she’s even alive! I’ll try and clean her up and put some veteracin all around in there, and hope for the best I guess.

Thanks for answering so quickly. I haven’t tried any soaking/cleaning yet, it looks as large as the opening on a chicken from the supermarket! There aren’t any innards hanging out, but it’s really disturbing and can’t imagine she’s even alive! I’ll try and clean her up and put some veteracin all around in there, and hope for the best I guess.
Well, if there’s any interest in the outcome, I soaked and cleaned her up and got a better look…it wasn’t her vent, it was just in front of it. An opening 2 inches or so across, with lots of small white worms going in and out. Her last egg was a week or two ago, and I guess maybe an injury of some sort? Anyhow I made the game time executive decision and let her go. Our small flock (3-6 range) members are pets with names, and while not like losing a dog, it was a hard day.

Well, if there’s any interest in the outcome, I soaked and cleaned her up and got a better look…it wasn’t her vent, it was just in front of it. An opening 2 inches or so across, with lots of small white worms going in and out. Her last egg was a week or two ago, and I guess maybe an injury of some sort? Anyhow I made the game time executive decision and let her go. Our small flock (3-6 range) members are pets with names, and while not like losing a dog, it was a hard day.
I'm so sorry, it sounds like fly strike 😢

I'm sorry to hear about your hen :hugs

Flystrike (maggots in a wound) can cause a lot of damage in a very short period of time. The initial wound doesn't have to be very large; it can be a small cut or abrasion. Flies lay eggs on the wound; maggots can emerge in as little as 24 hours depending on weather conditions. The maggots cause a lot of damage and infection in a short period of time.

Making the decision to let a much-loved hen is never easy.

I'm so sorry for your loss! I just now euthanized my Rhode Island Red due to fly strike. I'm so angry with myself for not thinking about it sooner. I hadn't had an issue in 6 years and I got complacent. 😥

Back
Top Bottom