Vent problem?

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
After feeding and watering my Delaware hens this morning, and successfully getting them all back into the run after a few tried to escape into our watermelon patch, I noticed a problem.

The hens just started laying about a month ago, the vent on one of my girls looks almost as if it's inside out. It's protruding, very red, and inflamed looking. I've heard of cases with young laying hen's eggs sometimes getting stuck, them having a hard time to get the egg out. I gently pushed the vent to see if that may be the case, but there was no resistance. So I'm assuming there wasn't an egg inside?

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this subject? I really hope it isn't anything too serious. We raised these Dellies from day-olds. All eight ended up surviving and I'd hate to have to cull one now.
sad.png

Thanks for anyone's help.

Jeremy.

She's prolapsed, it sounds like...do a search on here for prolapse and you'll find lots of helpful posts.

You need to separate her immediately, because they others could peck at it and cause trauma. I believe I've read you can use Preparation H (and other medicines) to help the prolapse go back in; it's a dangerous situation - you need to keep her quiet and stress free!! GOOD LUCK!!

YES, I just went through this myself with a year old hen. I noticed the prolapse, looked up info on this website, & successfully took care of it.

I cleaned her up real good, put her in a cage in the house, & kept her quiet. I used WalMart's brand of Preparation H cream w/ aloe (the ointment is way too gooey & messy!) every morning & night after cleaning her up each time, gently pressing the prolapse in & up. I did let her out twice a day to free range with her other 8 sisters, & they didn't notice her messy rear end. She never seemed to be in any pain, & continued laying in the cage. This took a little under 2 weeks to clear up, & I guess it worked out well because I happened to catch it in plenty of time!

It's a good thing you caught this early too! I try to be very observant of them every day. This could have had a sad ending!

I didn't take my hen to the vet (see earlier post above).

No, it didn't stay in. I pushed it in & up gently each time I cleaned her, & I thought it would NEVER stay in. And yes, it all came back out after each poop. But I cleaned her up every morning & evening with water or witch hazel. Then one day I noticed it wasn't out. I kept up the cleaning & doctoring to make sure there'd be no infection.

I didn't clip any feathers or use any antibiotics in the water.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen again, but then I'll continue checking her in case this DOES end up being a regular problem.

Hope this helps. I was scared, but glad this site helped with some tips, & I hope I've helped you too. Be thankful you caught the problem in time! Good luck!

Thanks for your reply!

It seems like the vent has gone down in inflammation. And seems slightly less red. I'm just worried about her pecking at it and not letting it get better. The only thing I'm worried about is her rear end drying out. It has started to darken in color and shrink, almost as if it is drying up. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Should I still continue with regular treatment like I have been, or is there another way to help?

I'm still hoping for the best!

Jeremy.

Last edited:
My hen's vent got sort of "crusty", but I softened it as best I could with water & the cream. It finally just all disappeared. She never pecked at it. Sounds like you're doing the right things!

Quote:
We've noticed that the prolapse seems to be drying out maybe. It looks almost as if scar tissue has formed on the vent? We are trying to keep it as moist and pushed in as possible.

Thanks for your reply.
smile.png

Hi Jeremy,

I'm in the midst of caring for my first prolapse, see my post from yesterday for all the gory details. In a nutshell, it is my first prolapse, I called the vet immediately and they wanted to see her. They cleaned her up, pushed things back in and sent her home, later that night it came out again, most likely when she pooped. The vet then put in a purse string suture to keep everything inside while she heals. The problem is whether or not she will need to lay an egg because the purse string suture has made her hole big enough for poops only. So she is recovering in the dark, hopefully shutting down egg production. This is my first prolaspe so I can't recommend whether you should go this route. It's been an expensive and still stressful approach.

Good luck,
Stacey

Back
Top Bottom