Vent Prolapse and White liquid

I doubt that she has vent gleet. She has been pecked and cannibalized after her prolapse. That can cause vent damage, and the leaking white material is urates (kidney waste.) She may smell like urine. Hopefully with treatment she will heal and things will go back to normal.

I would soak her bottom in a shallow pan of warm Epsom salts water once a day for about 15-20 minutes. Then you can use your wound spray or some plain Neosporin ointment on her vent. I would place her in a wire dog crate with food and water, but keep her with her flock. That way it might not be too difficult to put her back with them when she heals.

Look at how much room your chickens have in their coop and run. Vent pecking is common when they see a red prolapse. But if they are overcrowded, getting less that 16-20% protein in a balanced chicken feed, or boredom
m from not getting out to free range, there can be pecking. If necessary increase the size.

I doubt that she has vent gleet. She has been pecked and cannibalized after her prolapse. That can cause vent damage, and the leaking white material is urates (kidney waste.) She may smell like urine. Hopefully with treatment she will heal and things will go back to normal.

I would soak her bottom in a shallow pan of warm Epsom salts water once a day for about 15-20 minutes. Then you can use your wound spray or some plain Neosporin ointment on her vent. I would place her in a wire dog crate with food and water, but keep her with her flock. That way it might not be too difficult to put her back with them when she heals.

Look at how much room your chickens have in their coop and run. Vent pecking is common when they see a red prolapse. But if they are overcrowded, getting less that 16-20% protein in a balanced chicken feed, or boredom
m from not getting out to free range, there can be pecking. If necessary increase the size.
Hello, thank you for your response. Its interesting what you say about vent gleet because the discharge/liquid doesnt smell like described with vent gleet so I have always wondered what it is. What treatment would I need to do to help to stop the white liquid? Shes seperate from her hens now but sometimes I take her down to them and sit with them to make sure they dont go for her vent but they keep getting attracted to the white fluid. Its getting better as its not as bad now but want to make sure I am doing the right thing. In regards to space, they have their coop and run which is a good size and then they have a part of the garden sectioned off which they get let out into morning and put away at night and they can all be atleast 3 metres away from each other so I would hope this is enough size. I do usually let them out into our part of the garden that still has grass but they are all on the worming food so I cant let them out at the moment. I will definitely check on the chicken feed but its a good quality feed so I would really hope it had the correct percentage in it.

This hen is currently on antibiotics, anti inflammatory, and coxoid.

Back
Top Bottom