Vent Prolapse and White liquid

Jun 13, 2022
Hello, Ive posted a lot the past couple of days about my girl olive who sadly passed away yesterday. This morning I heard a commosion outside and found my girl babs bleeding from her vent. I removed her straight away and cleaned her up. Look likes a prolapse and alot of swelling. I took her to the vet immediately and was given antibiotics and anti Inflammatorys. Shes back home now and shes not her self completely but shes still snooping around the garden away from the girls. I just cleaned her vent with hibiscrub water and was advised to spray some wound spray as the other chicken had taken chunks out of the prolaps. However I just noticed she is dripping white fluid out of her bum, shes producing small poos that look firm and not too abnormal but constantly dripping white, does any one know what this could be???

My girl olive was ill 4 days ago and was dripping white stuff from her vent too. The other girls attacked her vent and she bled aswell, she also had sour crop and a few other problems that led her to passing away yesterday. Im so scared this is related but Olive never had a prolapse.

Should I be worried about the white dripping substance from her vent??

Thank you

Also, do you have somewhere to put her away from the others, like a dog crate ? I would advise keeping her away so the other chickens don't keep pecking at her

Also, do you have somewhere to put her away from the others, like a dog crate ? I would advise keeping her away so the other chickens don't keep pecking at her
Hello! Thanks for your response. I am so glad you asked that. I isolated her straight away as the others were pecking her vent. Shes got the whole garden to her self and she sleeps indoors at night time in the dog crate. She seems so lonely and spend her day hiding. Shes very well in her self and runs around quite alot but I dont know if she is scared of being on her own. She keeps running to where the other hens are kept and it breaks me seeing her wanting to see them and be with them, do you know of anything else I can do?x

Could you get a picture oh her vent?
Hey yeah sure, she had a prolapse that was attacked by the other girls so the top of her vent is a big scabby still. I clean the vent 4 times a day and have been using canestan on it. Shes only bothered by the dripping that runs under her belly. Wondering if there is anything else I should try. Shes layed an egg yesterday and day before but not today, although I dont believe she was very regular anyway. The purple sround her vent is left over wound spray

Attachments

• IMG-20220804-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20220804-WA0020.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20220804-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20220804-WA0018.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 14
Does her vent ever protrude or did it happen just that first time? I would keep her away from the other chickens for a little bit longer so you can keep an eye on her. I always hate separating the flock but they are just too curious lol. Have you been giving her anything in her water, like apple cider vinegar?

Hey yeah sure, she had a prolapse that was attacked by the other girls so the top of her vent is a big scabby still. I clean the vent 4 times a day and have been using canestan on it. Shes only bothered by the dripping that runs under her belly. Wondering if there is anything else I should try. Shes layed an egg yesterday and day before but not today, although I dont believe she was very regu

Does her vent ever protrude or did it happen just that first time? I would keep her away from the other chickens for a little bit longer so you can keep an eye on her. I always hate separating the flock but they are just too curious lol. Have you been giving her anything in her water, like apple cider vinegar?
Her vent did protrude on the day I found her bleeding, we took her to the vets straight away and they said its a very minor prolapse and that it will go in by its self, it went back in later on that day and that was it, not seen it back out since. The white discharge started later that day. Ive just cleaned her up again and its slowly getting better. Her and my other hens are currently comming towards the end of 7 days of coxoid due to suspected coccidiosis so I havent been able to add anything to her water. Ive been making a little yogurt bowl for her with natural yogurt, a splash of apple cider vinagr and a couple of dried meal worms to get her to eat it. But I cant give any vitamins unfortunately because of the coxoid.

I doubt that she has vent gleet. She has been pecked and cannibalized after her prolapse. That can cause vent damage, and the leaking white material is urates (kidney waste.) She may smell like urine. Hopefully with treatment she will heal and things will go back to normal.

I would soak her bottom in a shallow pan of warm Epsom salts water once a day for about 15-20 minutes. Then you can use your wound spray or some plain Neosporin ointment on her vent. I would place her in a wire dog crate with food and water, but keep her with her flock. That way it might not be too difficult to put her back with them when she heals.

Look at how much room your chickens have in their coop and run. Vent pecking is common when they see a red prolapse. But if they are overcrowded, getting less that 16-20% protein in a balanced chicken feed, or boredom
m from not getting out to free range, there can be pecking. If necessary increase the size.

I doubt that she has vent gleet. She has been pecked and cannibalized after her prolapse. That can cause vent damage, and the leaking white material is urates (kidney waste.) She may smell like urine. Hopefully with treatment she will heal and things will go back to normal.

I would soak her bottom in a shallow pan of warm Epsom salts water once a day for about 15-20 minutes. Then you can use your wound spray or some plain Neosporin ointment on her vent. I would place her in a wire dog crate with food and water, but keep her with her flock. That way it might not be too difficult to put her back with them when she heals.

Look at how much room your chickens have in their coop and run. Vent pecking is common when they see a red prolapse. But if they are overcrowded, getting less that 16-20% protein in a balanced chicken feed, or boredom
m from not getting out to free range, there can be pecking. If necessary increase the size.
Hello, thank you for your response. Its interesting what you say about vent gleet because the discharge/liquid doesnt smell like described with vent gleet so I have always wondered what it is. What treatment would I need to do to help to stop the white liquid? Shes seperate from her hens now but sometimes I take her down to them and sit with them to make sure they dont go for her vent but they keep getting attracted to the white fluid. Its getting better as its not as bad now but want to make sure I am doing the right thing. In regards to space, they have their coop and run which is a good size and then they have a part of the garden sectioned off which they get let out into morning and put away at night and they can all be atleast 3 metres away from each other so I would hope this is enough size. I do usually let them out into our part of the garden that still has grass but they are all on the worming food so I cant let them out at the moment. I will definitely check on the chicken feed but its a good quality feed so I would really hope it had the correct percentage in it.

This hen is currently on antibiotics, anti inflammatory, and coxoid.

Back
Top Bottom