Vent Prolapse. Warning! GRAPHIC Picture! No Chance.

MrsDuck

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Western WA
If there is a chance she can be saved, we will take her to a vet. We have given her a bath, put honey on the prolapse, and tried to push it back in, but it will not budge. It looks really bad to me, and if there is *no* chance, we don't want to spend a ton of money on an emergency vet. But if you think she can be saved, we will go. Please help us make this call!

64917_prolapse1.jpg

64917_prolapse2.jpg

Last edited:
Clean it, put oil on it to prevent it from drying out and take her to the vet for stitches. They need to do that surgery from preventing it from happening again. Most likely it will, that is the sad news. Keeping her on a diet to stay low in weight with help. So will putting her on a lower protein diet to prevent the formation of large egg. Over mating can also cause this. Make sure that you don't have to many drakes with her.

Man just saw your name. Thanks for the Apple Cider, Paul really loved it. I hope your duck will recover soon.

Last edited:
Ditto ABCs.

Antibiotic may be needed. You might also think about making sure (if not currently happening) that she has warmish clean water to swim in quite a bit after surgery (and perhaps before you go to the vet) if that is what you do. I believe risk of prolapse may sometimes be reduced by exercise such as swimming. (Have had some experience with another animal in that regard.)

Thanks, you two.

My husband just called from the Vet. They gave her a very, very poor prognosis, and she is clearly in a lot more pain than she was this morning. We decided to have her put down. She was already on a pretty low protein diet (Mazuri), and there are three hens to the one drake, so that doesn't seem to be the problem, either. I guess we'll never know.

I know she's "just" a duck. But my heart breaks every time we lose one. We have a hen sitting on a bunch of eggs right now. Hopefully we'll have some babies in about three weeks to help. Baby ducks help everything.

ABC's - I'm glad Paul enjoyed the cider. I hope you got some, too.

I'm so sorry. I like to keep my animals in a good mind set by thinking of all the fun and good moments they had. Not the tragic moments. She will be in a good place from now on. Thinking that way give me comfort and I hope it does for you too. Let me know, if you like to have some Saxony eggs for hatching. I gladly send some your way.
PS The Cider was good. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom