vent sexers in maryland?

pinkyglory123

Songster
9 Years
Jul 3, 2010
Anyone in the Baltimore/ Frederick, Maryland comfortable vent sexing geese? I have six african/african cross straight run goslings approx. two months old and need to know who is what since they are going to different homes-males to a friend-females stay with me. I watched the Metzger Farm video on vent sexing and although I am a nurse I think someone experienced would perform it in a manner that will be easier for me and the goslings! Thought with 100,000 Backyard Chickenites there may be help in my neighborhood.
idunno.gif

Of course it would be easier if someone else did it for you.
lau.gif

I have watched the Metzer video too and vent sexed mine at a week or two of age. If you are going to do this, you probably need the help of a friend. Me geese are 9 weeks old and I can't image doing this with out help. You might use a towel to wrap them so their wings aren't injured. Then have at it. It should be quick and easy.

Watch videos about vent sexing or wait til the chicks grow up (not for the impatient) but for me
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
For those with breeding programmes it well worth trying and becomes easier with experience. I did our Dewlaps at about a month old and found it fairly easy once you get your eye trained to what you're looking for.

For us its allowed us to sort the goslings into what we need to run on and those which will be sold. Its a great idea to ask for help the first time and I hope somebody local comes forward to help you.

Pete
wink.png

caf.gif
Guess I had better re-watch that video. sigh. Like I said before I foresee lots of wincing and crying. And I don't think the goslings are going to like it either!
hide.gif
It is always harder to work on relatives.
62148_nose.jpg
you want me to do what?!

Back
Top Bottom