Ventilation/Vents Placement

Oh, stronger than the 1/4"? I was thinking the 1/4" might keep out larger snakes. I think we have 23 species of snakes in my state. One of them being a Rat Snake.
We have them all, black bears, coyotes, coons, fox, opossum, skunk, snakes, hawks, owls etc...
1/2 inch is the way to go.

I am also in Northern NJ so share your climate and predator load. I have the following for year round ventilation:
- Roof ridge vent
- Open soffits (protected by 1/2" hardware cloth)
- Both gable ends open and facing prevailing W-E wind (also protected by 1/2" hardware cloth)
I have some baffles to stop snow flurries coming in during blizzards.
In summer I also open multiple windows and a people door between hen house and predator-proof run.
You really cannot overdo ventilation, particularly high up above their heads when they roost.

Here is an excellent article on cold-climate chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

You need excellent ventilation in the winter too -- 24/7/365.

Ventilation removes the moisture that is generated from the chickens' poop and their breath (as well as the ammonia), and keeping them dry is the key to keeping them comfortable in any weather.

A chicken that is dry and out of the wind can, when well-acclimated, easily cope with temperatures down to at least 0F.
Yes, I've been reading & watching many you tube videos saying the same. The key is NO drafts & good ventilation. Thanks for the article. 👍🏻

Thanks so much everyone. He feels pretty confident with building & venting. But weren't sure about how much to close off in winter. I see a lot of people using a thick plastic wrapped around their coops in winter. But I didn't notice if the vents were covered.
Now I know vents open all year long during all 4 seasons.
I'll check out all that has been offered on this thread & others.

Thank you so much. You guys are the best!! :love

The gable is the pointy part of the wall under the roof.

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/roofing/tools/roof-types

HC = hardware cloth.

images

1/4" hardware cloth is made from a finer-gauge wire -- thinner and not as strong.

Any snake small enough to get in through 1/2" hardware cloth is a chicken snack rather than a chicken predator. :)

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/roofing/tools/roof-types
I'm sure he knows all about this 👆 Me not so much.

"Any snake small enough to get in through 1/2" hardware cloth is a chicken snack rather than a chicken predator.
:)
"

Ha, that's funny. :lau They are still babies, so I'm being over protective, I guess.

Thank you! ☺️

I am also in Northern NJ so share your climate and predator load. I have the following for year round ventilation:
- Roof ridge vent
- Both gable ends open and facing prevailing W-E wind (also protected by 1/2" hardware cloth)
In summer I also open multiple windows and a people door between hen house and predator-proof run.
You really cannot overdo ventilation, particularly high up above their heads when they roost.
Excellent, thank you! :thumbsup

- Roof ridge vent

If you have photos the OP would probably find them helpful.

I see a lot of people using a thick plastic wrapped around their coops in winter. But I didn't notice if the vents were covered.

That's usually around their run rather than their coop -- and they leave the top of the wall open, sometimes the entire leeward wall.

They are still babies, so I'm being over protective, I guess.

Snakes and chicks are worrisome. I lost 7 out of 12 of a batch to snakes this year, but they didn't get in through the hardware cloth.

If you have photos the OP would probably find them helpful.

That's usually around their run rather than their coop -- and they leave the top of the wall open, sometimes the entire leeward wall.

Snakes and chicks are worrisome. I lost 7 out of 12 of a batch to snakes this year, but they didn't get in through the hardware cloth.
Here is the best I have on my phone. I can go out later and try and get some better shots.

First picture is of the soffits. I have about a 2’ overhang which I appreciate in all weathers, and as you can see it is closed off with hardware cloth so that fresh air can be sucked in as shown in @3KillerBs lovely diagram.

4B434394-DD3D-4BDB-851A-D88E75C07B8A.jpeg

Second picture is of the gable end. As you can see it is open and is covered in hardware cloth. Same for the other end. This shows the big overhang too.
The windows are at roost height so in the winter I close them but in the summer they are open and protected by the blue shutter (we cut out the center field of the shutter and replaced with hardware cloth).
4490E8D8-2374-49A1-8FAC-510C624F3F39.jpeg

The final picture is the inside view of the soffit vents. It is hard to take a good picture of that - but you can see the daylight!
3A8F9B56-C04E-4C96-9554-D9941C698224.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom