Ventilation/Vents Placement

Pics
It's a work in progress. We are trying to decide which would be safer. A secondary fencing of Hardware Cloth 1/4" or an electric fence. We have a boat load of predators. So, that is something we'll get up prior to putting them out there full time.

Thanks!
We had 15 hens and 2 roosters from our chicks. We had double fenced the run and Coop with chicken wire and ran a hot wire top and bottom around the perimeter. We closed up everything we could. We lost the best rooster to a snake because the chicken wire is too big. The snake could not swallow the rooster but he suffocated him to death. That being said, we now have 1/2 inch hardware cloth on top of two chicken coop wires plus the hot wire. If you have all kinds of predators, you're going to need all kinds of proofing. We also have Hawks and so the coop is covered with a fencing wire and shade cloth attached over the top cover on one side for the summer. We will replace it with hardware cloth when fall comes around.

Last edited:
Oh, stronger than the 1/4"? I was thinking the 1/4" might keep out larger snakes. I think we have 23 species of snakes in my state. One of them being a Rat Snake.
We have them all, black bears, coyotes, coons, fox, opossum, skunk, snakes, hawks, owls etc...
I would certainly go with 1/2 hardware cloth and a hot wire fence. Make sure you get a strong enough charger for the area you're wanting to protect.

We say that because 1/4" hardware cloth is made from thinner wire and is more easily broken into by predators.
Yup. Just as @3KillerBs says. The 1/4” is more flimsy. I would go 1/2”.
An alternative that I decided against but did consider is 1/4” over welded wire (2”x4” spaces).
I think that would work well because the welded wire is strong and the hardware cloth has tiny holes
But it is twice the work so I think most people settle for 1/2” hardware cloth.

I would certainly go with 1/2 hardware cloth and a hot wire fence. Make sure you get a strong enough charger for the area you're wanting to protect.
To deter your predators you want a charger that delivers a punch, 7000+ volts minimum to make a bear feel it and not want to return. If your unit is joules then look for one that is 1 joule or more depending on area. It HURTS, but does not kill because the amperage is very VERY low.
I have a 3 wire system from TSC with Zarebra 30 mile range which puts out 1.2 joules, low impedence (which is good between weed cutting). My DSH (dear sweet husband) touched it (woopsie); I heard him cussing from inside the house.
Bait the wires with bacon (or a porterhouse for DSH) and bear, coyote, whatever will learn that whatever is inside the fence is not worth it.

To deter your predators you want a charger that delivers a punch, 7000+ volts minimum to make a bear feel it and not want to return. If your unit is joules then look for one that is 1 joule or more depending on area. It HURTS, but does not kill because the amperage is very VERY low.
I have a 3 wire system from TSC with Zarebra 30 mile range which puts out 1.2 joules, low impedence (which is good between weed cutting). My DSH (dear sweet husband) touched it (woopsie); I heard him cussing from inside the house.
Bait the wires with bacon (or a porterhouse for DSH) and bear, coyote, whatever will learn that whatever is inside the fence is not worth it.
Yes! Mine is 2 joules for up to 8 miles. Low impedance. I may go with one stronger next time.

Back
Top Bottom