Ventilation

Fricasee

Songster
6 Years
Jun 6, 2014
Durango, Colorado
Hello all,

I inherited a two story coop at the house I'm renting.

The bottom floor has a very low ceiling (I have to stoop over to get in).
I don't think I could put an open ventilation in because I could not put it anywhere where it would be above their roosts and therefore it would be too drafty for them. So for the ground floor I was thinking of putting in an small electric or solar fan to exhaust the warm moist air. I also have considered putting in a turbine in the roof to suck the air out through a pipe from the ground floor through the second floor and out through the roof.

The top floor of the coop is taller and I've been able to put in open ventilation spaces in the gable ends so I think I'm ok there.

So I'm looking for opinions or advice on my ideas here. Also I have not found an option for a small electric or solar fan to install in the wall of the first floor. So if there is a source please let me know.

Thanks!

Cut sections out and put hardware cloth over the holes on one side of each cut out and hinge the cut out part back in place so it works like a door. Do that in several places and yes there is solar exhaust fans that will draw out some heat when the sun is shinning----I got some of them.

Cut sections out and put hardware cloth over the holes on one side of each cut out and hinge the cut out part back in place so it works like a door. Do that in several places and yes there is solar exhaust fans that will draw out some heat when the sun is shinning----I got some of them.
I don't think I can do the open wall ventilation on my ground floor because it would be at the same level as their roosts and would be too drafty especially in winter.

Ideally I'd like to put a small electric fan in the wall to draw air out but I can't seem to find anything.

IMG_4953.JPG
Pictures of your coop would help folks see what your coop looks like and what to recommend.
This is my coop. The bottom floor is maybe four feet high. The top floor I can stand up in and I'm five foot seven inches.

I don't think I can do the open wall ventilation on my ground floor because it would be at the same level as their roosts and would be too drafty especially in winter.

Ideally I'd like to put a small electric fan in the wall to draw air out but I can't seem to find anything.
It don't take as much ventilation in the winter that's why I suggested fixing them where they will close---I am thinking a cross breeze venting where it takes no electric!! Just a Thought.

It don't take as much ventilation in the winter that's why I suggested fixing them where they will close---I am thinking a cross breeze venting where it takes no electric!! Just a Thought.
Seems like I've heard you especially need ventilation in the winter because of condensation from their poop and breath.

Back
Top Bottom