Venting about neighbors dogs please ignore.

I have been going through this for several years now. The problem I have is that there is a major highway in front of my house and a county road right above the pasture. I cannot shoot across either and the dog knows it. He always stays right in the middle of the road or just on the other side of it. BUT I now have permission from most of the other neighbors to step over on their land and shoot.

I have to say I know your frustration, I have had problems with my Own dogs ! I am a dog lover all my life and also love my chickens, so I'm afraid I can't agree with most of the post to SSS ! I would however warn the owners that if the dogs come on your property again that they may lose their dogs, not by killing of course, but I would be on the phone right away with the dog warden/police whomever it is you have to call to have the dogs Removed.I would Never live like that, having to check constantly on your chickens making sure a dog isn't killing them, that just is not right to make you live like that. They Need to keep those dogs off your property, let them fence them in their own yard...Untill I had chickens I prob would think differently, but since my own dogs whom I love have killed a few of mine, I now know that Some dogs will act like dogs and it is instinct. They're gentle with all people, cats etc, but don't let a chicken get out into the yard where they are, they can't control themselves. Meanwhile they will lay with their backs up against the chicken yard with chickens scratching right behind them and pay them no mind at all, but if loose, watch out.....I have just made sure my chickens are totally enclosed in a very Large enclosure and all is well. But I know the heartbreak of a chicken being killed......So let the law be on your side and call the humane society or take the dogs there yourself the next time they come on your property, Do not put up with that !!! Good luck

Quote:
I'm glad I live in Idaho where it's legal to shoot a dog for even worrying or harassing livestock (include poultry). In Idaho, the dog owner is liable for any damage their dog causes, even if the dog was destroyed. The law is on my side here the second my neighbor's irresponsibility allows their dog to come on my property and go after my birds. I am a dog lover too, but I love MY dog, I'm not responsible for the actions of anyone else's dog nor do I feel a need to spare their pet that they didn't care enough about to fence in in the first place.

It would do the OP well to look up the local laws on destroying troublesome animals and the liability associated with it.

WOW they make a BEAR FENCER!!???? where do i get one?? i gotta get me one of those.. dang old neighbor dogs wont know what hit 'em!!!!

i have MORE patients for WILD preators than just loose domerstic dogs!!!! uugghhh, the coyotes just want something to eat, to fill their bellies to LIVE...
loose domestic dogs are just BORED.. and they kill for "something to DO"

i love my own dogs too... i work with dogs for a living... but i do not tolerate bored killing dogs,, there is just NO excuse for it.. keep your dogs on your property!!!!
if my dog got loose and went to the neighbors house and killed their livestock,, i would UNDERSTAND if they shot my dog.. i would be so embarrased and horrifyed...
if i can control my pack of spitz hunting dogs (karelian beardogs) then the neighbor should be able to control ONE sheperd mutt..

Quote:
Sage advice and very valuable. I just have to the weigh out the impacts to my blood pressure on a chickens vs. bad politics basis and how it will affect my future livestock operations. It is very likely if I shot the animals they would be watching when I do it. Which is the irony here. They are often in the yard or on the porch where they are watching thier dogs tear up my stuff and dig under the chicken run. Like I said, I am not perfect either. But nothing I do is actually on thier land, and I work at my "appearance flaws" every single day. But old equpiment and projects take time and money, and nothing I have, including the chickens is a luxury like the dogs are.

I'll do the shutup part here now that I have vented and got lots of support from you all. Thank you! I will not shut up when I am around my coop though. Last night, after disposing of my bruised but intact dead bird, I re-enacted Foghorn Leghorn cartoon skits at the top of my voice for an hour. Its indirect, but nothing got hurt except for peoples pride, especially mine cause I probably seemed like a fool to the other neighbors who didn't know what was going on
smile.png

One thing you could do is shoot AT their dog next time, making sure you miss, but at the same time making it look like you tried to hit the dog. Then maybe they'll get the hint without you accutally hurting their dog. And, if the call the cops or AC on you, you were fully within your rights of protecing your livestock and hopefully they'll find out that you could sue them for the birds you've already lost.

I couldn't shoot a dog for a LONG time, and shot over them several times. That is why now, they won't get within shooting range. They have killed so far: 3 cats, 2 turkey hens, 65 RIR pullets, 3 pairs of shoes and 2 ducks. The Sheriff told me to kill them because they can't do anything about it unless they are aggressive and then the Sheriff has to be present to witness them being aggressive. These dogs are not aggressive, just stupid. So if anybody can relate it is me.

Quote:
Sage advice and very valuable. I just have to the weigh out the impacts to my blood pressure on a chickens vs. bad politics basis and how it will affect my future livestock operations. It is very likely if I shot the animals they would be watching when I do it. Which is the irony here. They are often in the yard or on the porch where they are watching thier dogs tear up my stuff and dig under the chicken run. Like I said, I am not perfect either. But nothing I do is actually on thier land, and I work at my "appearance flaws" every single day. But old equpiment and projects take time and money, and nothing I have, including the chickens is a luxury like the dogs are.

I'll do the shutup part here now that I have vented and got lots of support from you all. Thank you! I will not shut up when I am around my coop though. Last night, after disposing of my bruised but intact dead bird, I re-enacted Foghorn Leghorn cartoon skits at the top of my voice for an hour. Its indirect, but nothing got hurt except for peoples pride, especially mine cause I probably seemed like a fool to the other neighbors who didn't know what was going on
smile.png

One thing you could do is shoot AT their dog next time, making sure you miss, but at the same time making it look like you tried to hit the dog. Then maybe they'll get the hint without you accutally hurting their dog. And, if the call the cops or AC on you, you were fully within your rights of protecing your livestock and hopefully they'll find out that you could sue them for the birds you've already lost.

The reason I usually say SSS is because so many people who apparently couldn't care less about their dog and let it roam around everywhere, suddenly fall in love with it if someone causes it harm even when it's causing havoc. Case in point: My friend shot his neighbors' dog because it was killing his chickens. He buried it and said nothing for a month. Then he decided he felt guilty and told them. All friendships ended and they had a horrible feud between them until one of the parties moved away. It's much better to destroy the dog and spare the conflict by not even giving the irresponsible dog-owner a reason to suddenly become concerned about the welfare of their pet IMO.

I just want to give you a heads up about your neighbor's dogs, BY LAW you have the right to protect your chickens and food source, go to your neighbor and advise them that the law states you can and will shoot their dog ( I would use rock salt or bird shot) but you do have the right to KILL THEM and if a dog kills or causes harm to livestock (including fowl & poultry) 3 or mor times it is deamed a convicted "killer" and animal control or sherrif deputy can be ordered to shoot and kill the dog on sight or remove it from the state or any bordered state, now that is is Virginia. But just so you know and I know because I have done broken 2 dogs from killing chickens this way, some people can't stand the thought but it is the only way I know of, take the dead chicken and tie the wings and head up so they do not hang down, then tie a peice of bailing twine or the like around the chicken's back to each leg then pull the chicken by its legs up around the dogs neck on either side and tie it reletivly tight so the dog cannot get it in its mouth, you can also net the bird with an old plastic onion bag ~ the kind that is like a net~ and leave it there til it rots off, yes its very offensive but put the dog in an outside contained area or a barn stall, make sure it has food and water, after all is said and done of course give it a good bath. I know it sounds stupid and gross but its better then having it shot by a farmer and I have had success with a bluetick coon hound and a short legged walker so don't let anyone tell you that it won't work, the thing is to do it immediately after it happens and be deligent.

I guess I'm really lucky, since all I have around me is family, I have 3 dogs, My DD Has 3 mini pins, which she keeps penned up and my GS had a lab and a terrier. the only dogs that would harm the chickens is the mini pins, and with them penned up I don't worry. Looked out the window yesterday and DH had gone for a walk, and coming home he had our yorkie in front, the pitt bull behind him My GS lab & the terrier behind the pitt and the goats following the last 2 dogs.all the Gianinas were just in line to.I laughed until he got home and he said he enjoyed his walk.had good company.
ya.gif
marrie

Back
Top Bottom