Venting about Roosters

Pics
BW and Lacy.jpg
View attachment 1964766

This is my rooster, BW. As a chick he was black and white, hence the name "BW". As you can see, he has turned quite handsome. Yes, he does know it. I couldn't ask for a better tempered rooster.

Everyone should read this. It was written by @hugho about what happened when they used collars. Very eye opening...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-danger-of-supressing-rooster-crowing.1340532/
I thought I'd pass along an important tip to avoid harm to your rooster through the use of "rooster tamers" or similar neck collars. We acquired 2 Icelandic roosters to our Icelandic flock a year ago but the dawn crowing was a bit much for my wife. Web research mentioned collars for the boys and I ended up using a velcro collar which did the trick and quieted them down well. Thet were able to eat and drink and the crowing volume decreased markedly. I found one of the roosters dead in the coop a month ago and wondered if the collar might have caused the problem. The other rooster seemed OK but a week ago our ever watchful alert 6 yr old grandson fetched me to look at the rooster because he thought something was wrong. Indeed he was correct. The rooster was drooling and slow moving and easy to catch. He also seemed to have lost weight and looked poorly and had no fight in him. I removed the velcro collar. It was snug but not tight. He looked like he might die but I fed him xtra treats and watched him gradually improve. Amazingly he now rarely crows at dawn. I now realize that the collar was the cause and it probably was the cause of the demise of our other rooster. These collars may work on loud crowing but they have significant danger. Be careful out there!!

Back
Top Bottom