Venting about Roosters

Pics
You have a very gorgeous flock!

Thanks!

And my boy Sid has been testy with me. He's Squatches brother. He tried to attack me a few days ago, I put up my boot and he attacked it then walked away. He's just hit that hormonal stage so I'm going to give him some time to adjust. If he keeps acting up, I may reconsider him living here.

I'm going to add more girls the next few months to see if that helps out a bit. After that he's going to the freezer.

Oof. Wings (my cockerel) is like that too. But my chickens are pets so... I don’t have the heart to get rid of him, after all, I had him sense he was a couple of days old.

Here is my 22ish week old Welsummer Rooster. He doesn't have a name. He let out his first full cock-a-doodle-doo this morning! He's tried before but he just opens his mouth wide and no sounds comes out :gig

He talks back if you make chicken noises at him.

IMG_20191121_110038282_HDR.jpg

Thanks!

Oof. Wings (my cockerel) is like that too. But my chickens are pets so... I don’t have the heart to get rid of him, after all, I had him sense he was a couple of days old.
I've had Squatch and Sid since they were a day old. They're part of my layer flock, which are pets that lay fertile eggs that I incubate for meat chickens.

I'll deal with Sid and keep him around, I think if I get him some more girls things will be a lot better. Right now Squatch is training him. He teaches him how to treat the ladies.

I've had Squatch and Sid since they were a day old. They're part of my layer flock, which are pets that lay fertile eggs that I incubate for meat chickens.

I'll deal with Sid and keep him around, I think if I get him some more girls things will be a lot better. Right now Squatch is training him. He teaches him how to treat the ladies.

Ah, are they big chickens then?

Oh, good. Squatch seems to be the nice one, XD

Ive had a bunch of roos before. The first year we had chickens we bought 20 chicks from a livestock store. 10 black australorps, and 10 rirs we ended up with 5 australorp roos, 5 australorp hens, one rir roo, and 9 hens. We kept only the rir roo, and the hens. The next year, I hatched one chick from him wich also turned out to be a roo, who turned to aggressive, along with his dad. We got rid of the flock and sent them to another farm because they developed issues we couldnt handle at the time, then last year we got our current chickens, and thankfully only ended up with one roo. The chickes are australorps, and ees. Our roo is an ee. Last year, toward the end of the year, we hatched out another chick, wich did turn out to be a roo, sadly. This roo was friendly like his dad, at first, so he was allowed to roam once he was big enough. But at some point he developed a mean streak, and pushed the line when he started chasing my toddler twin brothers around the yard so he became lunch. However, his father is excellent. All the time we've had him, he has never shown any sort of aggression

His father is named big red because hes big and red, he was called chirpy because he was so loud at night that we could hear him from our bedroom up stairs as a chirpy chick. And he'd chirp and chirp, and chirp, until surrogate mom (me) came down to hold him in wich case he would usually fall asleep on my chest. Now he has a younger sister that he'll never meet, called baby.

Ive had a bunch of roos before. The first year we had chickens we bought 20 chicks from a livestock store. 10 black australorps, and 10 rirs we ended up with 5 australorp roos, 5 australorp hens, one rir roo, and 9 hens. We kept only the rir roo, and the hens. The next year, I hatched one chick from him wich also turned out to be a roo, who turned to aggressive, along with his dad. We got rid of the flock and sent them to another farm because they developed issues we couldnt handle at the time, then last year we got our current chickens, and thankfully only ended up with one roo. The chickes are australorps, and ees. Our roo is an ee. Last year, toward the end of the year, we hatched out another chick, wich did turn out to be a roo, sadly. This roo was friendly like his dad, at first, so he was allowed to roam once he was big enough. But at some point he developed a mean streak, and pushed the line when he started chasing my toddler twin brothers around the yard so he became lunch. However, his father is excellent. All the time we've had him, he has never shown any sort of aggression

His father is named big red because hes big and red, he was called chirpy because he was so loud at night that we could hear him from our bedroom up stairs as a chirpy chick. And he'd chirp and chirp, and chirp, until surrogate mom (me) came down to hold him in wich case he would usually fall asleep on my chest. Now he has a younger sister that he'll never meet, called baby.

That’s a lot of Roos!

Back
Top Bottom