Vents?

Maxx_a_mouse

Chirping
Apr 27, 2019
I am building a coop for my chickens and it is 48”x30”x36”. Only problem I’m worried about is ventilation. It can get -20°F here and I don’t want it to get too cold in the coop. It will only be 2 Belgian d’uccles in the coop, so would only a few small holes work? In the past I’ve had coops with 5-12 chickens and no vents at all, so I’m not sure how many I need and if it will make it too cold?

You don't have to worry about cold. You have to worry about oxygen and sufficient air exchange. Stale air in a warm moist environment can cause the growth of bacteria, viruses, fungus and a proliferation of ammonia.
If you don't heat your coop, by 6 AM on January 10, it will be as cold inside as it will be outside. So, they are better off with fresh air.
It has gotten that cold here and 2 of my buildings have 3' X 4' windows on both east and west walls with the winter wind blowing right through. No health problems ever.

You definitely need some ventilation in the coop, especially in the summer months. I've seen some coops that have little doors to open/close the vents, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd say a few small holes of 2-3" in diameter would do the trick

Well, all year round...with adequate ventilation.
Right. It is just that the OP is concerned about cold.

Depending on stocking density my buildings are about the same as outside temp or up to 5 or 6 F higher.
Daytime coop warm up will be slower without adequate ventilation.

I am building a coop for my chickens and it is 48”x30”x36”. Only problem I’m worried about is ventilation. It can get -20°F here and I don’t want it to get too cold in the coop. It will only be 2 Belgian d’uccles in the coop, so would only a few small holes work? In the past I’ve had coops with 5-12 chickens and no vents at all, so I’m not sure how many I need and if it will make it too cold?

Even with perfect everything.... I don't think it is possible to keep the little points on the d'uccles from getting frostbite.

As long as you are not wanting to show them, it isn't a big problem, they tend to heal perfectly.

I would however make a larger coop, so it is easier to have a large vent. Is this coop connected to a roofed and partially enclosed run? If so, the currently planned size could work, you could put a large vent on the coop wall that is protected by the run roof.

However, if you want them to stay show-able, (and have zero frostbite) I would recommend making them house chickens.... or garage chickens. ......

If you want to keep them outside, with zero frostbite, then you need to make a much bigger coop, and heat it, and add some kind of mechanical air exchange, I think. :idunno

Even with perfect everything.... I don't think it is possible to keep the little points on the d'uccles from getting frostbite.

As long as you are not wanting to show them, it isn't a big problem, they tend to heal perfectly.

I would however make a larger coop, so it is easier to have a large vent. Is this coop connected to a roofed and partially enclosed run? If so, the currently planned size could work, you could put a large vent on the coop wall that is protected by the run roof.

However, if you want them to stay show-able, (and have zero frostbite) I would recommend making them house chickens.... or garage chickens. ......

If you want to keep them outside, with zero frostbite, then you need to make a much bigger coop, and heat it, and add some kind of mechanical air exchange, I think. :idunno

that’s my issue, one is a show bird and won first this last fall, and I’d like to keep it that way. The coop is already built. It is a chicken tractor, and the run is not roofed

that’s my issue, one is a show bird and won first this last fall, and I’d like to keep it that way. The coop is already built. It is a chicken tractor, and the run is not roofed
Then I see no way to keep him both healthy and frostbite free.

:idunno

Sorry.... I don't mean that to be mean... I just have no idea.

Then I see no way to keep him both healthy and frostbite free.

:idunno

Sorry.... I don't mean that to be mean... I just have no idea.

Yeah I get it. The coop is huge for them though, so I’m hoping that’s what saves them. The breeder I got them from free ranges hers, and her birds and prize winners too. Not sure how she keeps them from getting frostbite, I think she just hopes lol.

I’m just worried since it’s only 2 birds that it won’t be warm enough. I’ve tried putting them with my other chickens, but that didn’t work. I’ve got 4 layers which are 10x the size of the bantams, and I also have a Cornish cross who just hit 18lbs. One of his feet is bigger then both bantams combined, and he tries to kill them, so that’s out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom