1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Verify ID and type of Gifted Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rottface4, Apr 13, 2016.

1. rottface4

rottface4 New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    Hello all. This will be my first post on this forum. My family was give a few chickens from a friend that bought too many about 4 weeks ago. At the time we were told the chickens were about 2-3 weeks old. Here they are when received them.

[​IMG]

My dog was trying to figure out what this new present was.

They are now about 4-6 weeks old and we are trying to figure out what type they are and what gender they may be. Can you help me out?

This one I believe to be a RIR pullet:
    [​IMG]

Here is another I think to be a RIR, but probably cockerel:
    [​IMG]

And the last I think may be a barred rock cockerel:
    [​IMG]

Please let me know what your opinions are. If they are both actually cockerels I will have to get rid of them and will have to find another pullet so the last one is not left alone.

[​IMG]
    The two body guards.

2. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    I agree with all your breed and gender guesses- two RIRs (one boy one girl) and a barred rock boy. The two boys may get into it as they get older, and/or overwhelm the hen. You might either want to rehome one, or get some more hens to fill out the flock. [​IMG]

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I agree with all of your guesses :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by