Vermont

Hi cfs,
My parents have raised chickens for years in the Barre, Vermont area, about 30/40 mins away from the Williston area. We never had trouble with bears with our coop, we have 5 acres with woods to our back yard (though

Whoops, sent to early!
Though we have had a cub and momma bear come up to eat out of our bird feeder hanging from our tree on the front lawn years ago.
For the most part bears are not too much of a concern as long as your coop is well built and there is not food laying around outside. A electric fence is always a nice addition if your really concerned about the hens safety. It'll help keep larger predators out.
Good luck!

Bears are only a problem if feed is left in run or coop. Bear will get to feed and then decide once it's there to have a chicken dinner too. If no feed is left then they don't bother with the birds.

Williston is quite grown up now, I believe your only concern would be dogs, fox, raccoon, skunk and hawks. Ya know, the normal things.

I've heard from lots of neighbors that when bears in their area are hungry - it doesn't matter about food around - - two have had bears rip hardwire cloth off and go in for the chickens with no feed to entice them ...

So I think it depends on how much food is in the general forest area - I wouldn't worry MUCH about bears - but I would have them in mind like all predators ... sometimes the smell of dogs in the area will help to keep bear away.

Rifle shot in the air cleared their bears away ... one lost a whole coop - the other with the rifle didn't loose any - but had a mangled side to the coop ....

I've heard from lots of neighbors that when bears in their area are hungry - it doesn't matter about food around - -   two have had bears rip hardwire cloth off and go in for the chickens with no feed to entice them ...

So I think it depends on how much food is in the general forest area   - I wouldn't worry MUCH about bears - but I would have them in mind like all predators ... sometimes the smell of dogs in the area will help to keep bear away.

Rifle shot in the air cleared their bears away ... one lost a whole coop - the other with the rifle didn't loose any - but had a mangled side to the coop ....

Yep, they'll try to pull the coops apart to get to the birds inside when they're hungry enough. Just had someone on another thread post showing bear damage when it tried to get in there. Luckily it didn't make it in, but the coop was really banged up. If they see the birds and decide they'd be yummy, they're gonna try to get in. Some people hot-wire their coops because of this if they live in an area with a lot of bears.

Hi Lurch ! 12 is a very nice number - what type? And you know we always like pictures ...

Welcome - and how about going from winter right to summer ! :0 ha ha

Hi Lurch ! 12 is a very nice number - what type? And you know we always like pictures ...

Learning..Most are mixed breed cause mom and dad were different breeds. Others aren't related but also Different types. Will post pics soon amazing looking birds. Very beautiful. And yes wheather has been really funny this year.

Welcome - and how about going from winter right to summer ! :0 ha ha

Back
Top Bottom