Vermont

I have a whole rat pack. My kids are always wanting new breeds, so we get a couple every spring. Here is what I have right now.

- An Ameruacana and barred rock rooster (Roo and Stony)
- 3 austrolorps (Tiger, Frankie, and Henrietta)
- 3 brahmas (Ivy (light), Leah (buff), and Anastasia (dark))
- 2 buff orpingtons (Penny, Rapunzel)
- 2 california whites (Starlight and Nyx)
- 2 green light eggers (Squirrel and Amaia)
- 2 black sex-links (Ducky and Mia)
- 1 golden comet (Amber)
- 1 salmon faverolle (Harley Quinn)
- 1 silver laced wyandotte (Scarlett)
- 1 whiting true blue (Eligo)

My kids come up with the names. I think I named Harley and Stony. Did you name yours? We are about to add again in two weeks, too. More naming!
I like the names Mia and Scarlett.

I do name mine! Our Sussex is LB (short for Little Brave). Our golden laced is Chunker Pancake, the Australorps are Maisy and Cue-tip, and our Barred Rocks are Charles Chickens and Lovelace Fluffenutter.

How cold does it get where you live? Do you have to worry about frostbite?

We only saw -25 this past winter. I am glad we haven't seen lower in years. I wonder what folks did back then? I would be afraid some birds would just kick the bucket after a -45 degree night.

My older daughter names all the chicks. But she's now moved to Virginia, not sure who will come up with names the next time I get some!
5 Easter Eggers (Penelope, Cassiopeia, Hera, Rhea, Nyx (who was supposed to be a true Black Ameraucana but has 5 toes per foot so a breed fail. She does lay blue eggs)
3 Black Australorps (Mellori, Nuit and Inej)
2 White Rocks (Angel and Daisy (the egg eater) she's isolated from the rest :( )
2 Barred Rocks (Arcadia and Vienna)
2 Austra Whites (Meyer hatchery exclusive) (Aurora and Gretel)
2 Columbian Wyandottes (Ana and Sofia)
2 Welsummers (Betty and Veronica)
1 Exchequer Leghorn (Oreo)
1 Golden Laced Wyandotte (Elizabeth)
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte (Victoria)

That is so cool that we both have a Nyx.

If you send my daughters some pictures they could name them for you. 😅 Or maybe it can finally be your chance to decide. Kids do make it easier, though. I never though about what I am going to do when they all move out!

She was 19 when we got the first chicks so no weird "kid" names. There is a method to her "madness". The EEs have all been Greek Goddesses, Elizabeth: the "gold" queen, Victoria: the "silver" queen. Angels are white as are some daisies. Mellori is a small Raven, Nuit is night, therefore they fit with black. Not sure about Inej.

I know someone on BYH whose granddaughter named one of the lambs Frimplepants. For quite some time I figured it was just a silly name a 4 year old came up with but apparently it is a unicorn in a children's book. Thus, the silly name was made up by a silly adult ;)

Yeah, my daughters wanted refined names, too, but I was happy to name my faverolle after a goofy batman villain. My son wanted to name them after monster trucks, so odd names do happen with kids.

Back
Top Bottom