Vermont

Pics
Hi Neighbors!!
frow.gif

I have a Golden Cuckoo Orpington cockerel available. He is about 9 months old. I am not going to breed this variety. He is a big boy. Anyone interested please contact me. Thanks!!

Hi all,

Thought I'd post this here, in case anyone can help out!

The Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS) is a raptor rehabilitation center in Quechee, VT. They take in hawks, eagles, owls, falcons, etc. that have been injured (usually through interactions with humans, like car accidents or gunshot wounds) and take care of them until they are able to return to the wild. The few that are too badly injured to be released again become permanent residents at VINS. As you can imagine, feeding the raptors can be expensive. VINS relies partly on donations of live animals like chickens and rabbits from community farmers and breeders in order to feed the raptors. I often take my extra roosters to VINS as donations for the raptors. The donated animals die a humane death (they are euthanized in a CO2 chamber - they do NOT get fed to the raptors while still alive) and you get a form that declares the animals a charitable donation, if you would like to deduct it on your taxes.

Well, Sara at VINS emailed me today to ask if I had any chickens available because they are desperately low on food for the raptors right now. I will be taking her whatever extra I have, but I also offered to post here on BYC about their need, in case anyone else would like to help. Personally, I find it very helpful sometimes to be able to take my extra birds to VINS. I know that many of you would never dream of eating your chickens, but I also know many of you are breeders like me, and you probably are all too familiar with having too many extra roosters around, or old hens that should be retired. Yes, I can always process extra roosters myself, and I do when I can. But sometimes it's just easier to take them to VINS, and I know the raptors always need to eat! If you have any extra birds (or rabbits - I know many of you breed rabbits as well!) that you could share with VINS, Sara would love to hear from you right away.

Here are their only requirements:
No sick birds, no internal/external parasites
No medicated birds (including medicated feed like chick starter)

If you can help, or if you have any questions, please email Sara at [email protected] and she can arrange a time for you to drop of donations! Thanks!

Sullivan county 4H groups are coming out to celebrate TSC clover Days Campaign!
Sugar River Poultry Project group will be at Tractor Supply in Claremont tomorrow talking to the public about their projects.
Our group will also be selling burgers and hot dogs for lunch.
We are raising money to have a poultry show at this year's Cornish Fair.
Please come out to talk chicken and 4H with our members as well as have a yummy lunch to support their efforts!

Looking for 4-Hers, or other organization in the Rutland area or not........ Any one who may be interested in a Golden Laced Wyandotte Cockerel for show.??? I have 2/10wk. old cockerels and only plan to keep 1. They are very healthy and have been cared for with love. I am willing to donate to only a good and responsible keeper. This a great chance to have the breed represented and to have fun too.!! Gld. L. Wyandotte's are a Standard Breed Class. Anyone interested please P.M. me and we can see if it is right for you. Thank you.

If anyone is interested I have 7 muscovy ducks that need new homes.

I also have two Silver Gray Dorking roosters that are looking for new homes. Message me if you are interested.

Sullivan county 4H groups are coming out to celebrate TSC clover Days Campaign!
Sugar River Poultry Project group, along with many other 4H groups, will be at Tractor Supply in Claremont, October 11, 2014, talking to the public about their projects.
Our group will also be selling burgers and hot dogs for lunch.
We are raising money to have a poultry show at the 2015 Cornish Fair.
Please come out to talk chicken and 4H with our members as well as have a yummy lunch to support their efforts!

Back
Top Bottom