Vermont

Pics
Hello there Vermonters! I'm wondering if any of you breed heritage stock (non hatchery lines) of Barred Rocks? I've been looking about NH and VT for 10 months now with no luck. If anyone has a line on Barred Plymouth Rock breeders or even has a few hens they would be willing to sell drop me a line. Would really appreciate it.

Hello there Vermonters! I'm wondering if any of you breed heritage stock (non hatchery lines) of Barred Rocks? I've been looking about NH and VT for 10 months now with no luck. If anyone has a line on Barred Plymouth Rock breeders or even has a few hens they would be willing to sell drop me a line. Would really appreciate it.

There is someone in VT who has advertised SQ bantam Barred Rocks (not hatchery).

Hopefully everyone is enjoying spring, or the previews we've had so far. I've taken a bit of a break from the forum and chickens in the past few months. We could not find or trap the weasel in our coop (I believe it to be an ermine which I spotted in the yard recently) and lost half our flock over the course of a week, one or two a night. Usually the necks were eaten out, sometimes the head missing.

We processed the rest of the flock ourselves to save them from being wasted. I'm going to spend this spring ripping out the walls in the coop and reinforcing gaps, since I'm not willing to put more birds in there until I feel more confident that there won't be a repeat. I'm hoping maybe by mid summer or fall I'll be ready to get a few more birds, or we might just do a run of Freedom Rangers for processing this year and start again with layers the following spring.

Keara- A co-worker of mine from Hinesburg passed a message on to me of someone looking for BCM hatching eggs in the area, I directed her to have the person look you up on here, though I wasn't sure if you were selling hatching eggs/chicks this spring.

Glad to be finally looking at the back end of winter!

Hopefully everyone is enjoying spring, or the previews we've had so far. I've taken a bit of a break from the forum and chickens in the past few months. We could not find or trap the weasel in our coop (I believe it to be an ermine which I spotted in the yard recently) and lost half our flock over the course of a week, one or two a night. Usually the necks were eaten out, sometimes the head missing.

We processed the rest of the flock ourselves to save them from being wasted. I'm going to spend this spring ripping out the walls in the coop and reinforcing gaps, since I'm not willing to put more birds in there until I feel more confident that there won't be a repeat. I'm hoping maybe by mid summer or fall I'll be ready to get a few more birds, or we might just do a run of Freedom Rangers for processing this year and start again with layers the following spring.

Keara- A co-worker of mine from Hinesburg passed a message on to me of someone looking for BCM hatching eggs in the area, I directed her to have the person look you up on here, though I wasn't sure if you were selling hatching eggs/chicks this spring.

Glad to be finally looking at the back end of winter!
Yup I sold her eggs yesterday! Thanks for sending her my way!

PS I got chicks and when you are ready we'll set you up with some. I know how you feel about those slacker Marans so if you want mutts we get you those. We had both a weasel and a mink here this winter. Neighbors got the weasel (in a rat glue trap) we trapped the mink... used the liver of the chicken it killed to catch it in a have-a-heart.

Ugh! Went to the Great Big Sea concert last night... didn't get a chicken sitter... Coyotes got all the young chickens (10 in all) who were not going in the coop at night! ****!!!!!
he.gif

Ugh! Went to the Great Big Sea concert last night... didn't get a chicken sitter... Coyotes got all the young chickens (10 in all) who were not going in the coop at night! ****!!!!!
he.gif
th.gif
sad.png

Sorry to hear this. Those stinking predators get us when we least expect it!
rant.gif

Vermonters... I know you are all planting Gardens but....... you all are way too quiet!

We are seeing an uptick in predators here in Bristol. Fox during the day Coyotes at night. I'm planning a daytime pen for my best breeders to keep them out of the foxes mouths. How about you guys?

-Keara

Greetings from Waterbury Center! I'm just about to get into this business of predator defense as we are adopting an established flock of eight. Seems like a hot topic. I know we have plenty of foxes around.

Vermonters... I know you are all planting Gardens but....... you all are way too quiet!

We are seeing an uptick in predators here in Bristol. Fox during the day Coyotes at night. I'm planning a daytime pen for my best breeders to keep them out of the foxes mouths. How about you guys?

-Keara
We live in Bristol too and there is a family of foxes right across the road from us. They were spending their early evening hours staring at my shotty field fencing so it all got replaced this spring. Next phase will be to finish fencing the outside of the horse pasture as well so that they can roam there as well and not be in danger.

I hear the coydogs but don't see them much. We lost on bird back around Easter. Now we are working to make sure we don't lose anymore.

Back
Top Bottom