Vermont

Pics
I just found this thread and am so excited to find Vermonters here!!! I started reading, but am looking forward to learning how you all prep for the winter! I ended up with a flock of rooster this summer! So I'm adding an addition to the coop, and thinking about stacking straw around the outside of the coop this winter. Stoked to find Vermonters...

Welcome to the thread! We were just discussing some winter prep :) What all birds do you have?
I am excited for the winter prep convo! I have been patching together things that I read people do. Each season (3 so far) tweaking our set up. Vermont winters are a specific thing! Moist,can get cold, and with regular power outages!
I currently have 29 chickens!
I started with 9hens 3yrs ago. A fox wiped out most of my flock, and left me with 2 faverolles, and 1 gold lace wyndotte. They were my favorites so I got more chicks of both, and one faverolle rooster so I could have chicks of my own. I ended up with a Blue Cochin roo, and 2 Faverolle roos. We hatched chicks this year after the fox made its Spring visit.
Abraham the Cochin is our top roo. I had planned on Faverolles, and Faverolle/Gold laced crosses, but the hens love Abe! So now it is a bit of a mutt flock with Cochin x GLW, and Faverolle x GLW >(They look really beautiful so far), and Faverolle x Cochin! All of the faverolle chicks that hatched turned out to be roos... So we are now building a coop addition for our growing rooster flock!
What type of birds do you all have?!

Sounds like a nice bunch of birds! Cochins are a favorite of mine. I have beautiful mottled cochin hen myself. She's stunning - her father took best of breed in the big MA show the year she was hatched. Faverolles are beautiful too :) Just to let you know, faverolles always has the 's' on the end - it's actually part of the breed's name, since they're named after Faverolles, France, where the breed originated. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine, lol! I get the same way about marans, which also always has the 's', whether plural or singular.

As for me, I have a lot of birds, lol. I've lost track of how many chickens I have, but I plan to do a head count tomorrow night. I have a flock of birds that's pretty much just for eggs, and in there I have a little of everything. They are covered by an olive egger frizzle rooster, so I can sell the eggs and chicks as frizzled easter eggers :) He's got a bunch of hens - easter eggers, olive eggers, buff orps, a blue copper marans, brahma crosses, the cochin, etc etc. Oh, and some cull AC hens, which brings me to my next flock.

I breed ayam cemanis. I have a lovely breeding flock covered by my gorgeous cock named Panic. I'm very proud of him! I've got some eggs in lockdown right now, and more due to hatch over the month. I also have a broody hen on eggs in that group.

Then, I have tufted Roman geese. They are absolutely awesome! Love them to pieces. I've got two geese and a gander, and another gander that I hatched this year that I've kept as a pet, not a breeder. I meant to sell him but got too attached, lol. Goslings will do that to you!

I also breed welsh harlequin ducks, which are a beautiful, highly productive breed. I think one of the females is now laying, and I'm very tempted to hatch the eggs. The only thing stopping me is the time of year.

I also have guinea fowl in lavender in pearl, and I added buff dundotte this year. This year I also added Call ducks in various colors and light brahmas. Oh, and I have midget white turkeys due to hatch at the end of the month.

So I've got a bit of a full house :)

Sounds like a nice bunch of birds! Cochins are a favorite of mine. I have beautiful mottled cochin hen myself. She's stunning - her father took best of breed in the big MA show the year she was hatched. Faverolles are beautiful too :) Just to let you know, faverolles always has the 's' on the end - it's actually part of the breed's name, since they're named after Faverolles, France, where the breed originated. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine, lol! I get the same way about marans, which also always has the 's', whether plural or singular.

As for me, I have a lot of birds, lol. I've lost track of how many chickens I have, but I plan to do a head count tomorrow night. I have a flock of birds that's pretty much just for eggs, and in there I have a little of everything. They are covered by an olive egger frizzle rooster, so I can sell the eggs and chicks as frizzled easter eggers :) He's got a bunch of hens - easter eggers, olive eggers, buff orps, a blue copper marans, brahma crosses, the cochin, etc etc. Oh, and some cull AC hens, which brings me to my next flock.

I breed ayam cemanis. I have a lovely breeding flock covered by my gorgeous cock named Panic. I'm very proud of him! I've got some eggs in lockdown right now, and more due to hatch over the month. I also have a broody hen on eggs in that group.

Then, I have tufted Roman geese. They are absolutely awesome! Love them to pieces. I've got two geese and a gander, and another gander that I hatched this year that I've kept as a pet, not a breeder. I meant to sell him but got too attached, lol. Goslings will do that to you!

I also breed welsh harlequin ducks, which are a beautiful, highly productive breed. I think one of the females is now laying, and I'm very tempted to hatch the eggs. The only thing stopping me is the time of year.

I also have guinea fowl in lavender in pearl, and I added buff dundotte this year. This year I also added Call ducks in various colors and light brahmas. Oh, and I have midget white turkeys due to hatch at the end of the month.

So I've got a bit of a full house :)
The birds have grown on me more then I could have expected! No worries on the Faverolles spelling! I actually went back ,and forth while I was writing it. I'm stoked on this forum because of all the experience here, and I respect the feedback! My Husband is also grateful I've found a place to talk with other people about chickens! He likes to remind me that not everyone gets as excited about it as I do...I ended up with 2 Faverolles in my original mixed flock, and fell in love with their attitudes I still have both of those hens. When we ordered more chicks, and got a Faverolles rooster. I was surprised to see that the hatchery chickens were much more "rugged" looking then my original two.
I want to get hatch some of their eggs next spring with who ever ends up being my best choice Faverolles roo. All the Faverolles chicks I hatched this summer turned out to be cockrels! I don't have the heart to eat any of the goofballs either...so coop addition it is!
The Cochin Abraham turned out to be a really nice surprise, and the hens prefer him. It is obvious what chicks are his! I looked up mottled cochins, and they are so fancy looking! Abe is def. our "fancy pants". Our Faverolles x GLW have splashy looking feathers that are really interesting.
I think its awesome your breeding the ayam cemanis. Those are some stunning birds! I would be proud of a flock like that too! I'm guessing that if your showing them your focus is on maintaining the breed? I read that they are believed to have mystical powers in indonesia!
I had a pet duck when I was a kid so I have a soft spot for them. Baby ducklings are so cute! Geese are on my wish list too!

The birds have grown on me more then I could have expected! No worries on the Faverolles spelling! I actually went back ,and forth while I was writing it. I'm stoked on this forum because of all the experience here, and I respect the feedback! My Husband is also grateful I've found a place to talk with other people about chickens! He likes to remind me that not everyone gets as excited about it as I do...I ended up with 2 Faverolles in my original mixed flock, and fell in love with their attitudes I still have both of those hens. When we ordered more chicks, and got a Faverolles rooster. I was surprised to see that the hatchery chickens were much more "rugged" looking then my original two.
I want to get hatch some of their eggs next spring with who ever ends up being my best choice Faverolles roo. All the Faverolles chicks I hatched this summer turned out to be cockrels! I don't have the heart to eat any of the goofballs either...so coop addition it is!
The Cochin Abraham turned out to be a really nice surprise, and the hens prefer him. It is obvious what chicks are his! I looked up mottled cochins, and they are so fancy looking! Abe is def. our "fancy pants". Our Faverolles x GLW have splashy looking feathers that are really interesting.
I think its awesome your breeding the ayam cemanis. Those are some stunning birds! I would be proud of a flock like that too! I'm guessing that if your showing them your focus is on maintaining the breed? I read that they are believed to have mystical powers in indonesia!
I had a pet duck when I was a kid so I have a soft spot for them. Baby ducklings are so cute! Geese are on my wish list too!

Sounds like you have a good crew! Yep, I do breed my ACs to the proposed standard. They needed a LOT of work when they were first imported. After four years, I've made some good progress. This is Panic:

lGY_jC_L99pbUmtj2kR_P3Y0qWEo0r-X-C6JXbTQDgtgSZJVpxAw81_EIobCUSzGO1hqyM5axTNdNbzVCnvOc4_l4vFGsQIOY8hUPQh6tBu2ipdey0CU-1qCL_KMe8ZPTMO_52O719BoO5U5yJDl3CajbVCooi2GLSiLiL-cqDVfAIwkqE_b7AoQF9N3IgKPLoB3rxFUJFOL-oaopbN2BZwnkYoeIL6eyZSFLBNpQzDXKePreJ8EGnrTxjDaFIEgVK591ZTZ2tdeDSrTa8G-ibx1eriqFq4m8ol1Lh96gGz8JEQAHJb-MUKbFB3DZjPCFH3ZmEhc5udUyzidvxg_dXNWo-LgbsgbtHDYVWC_cZ5LHlLYpzFVSqA-2f8xRpdF1iUbkRrHlKCwwwvtnIf50Y2WtRGKVi8oXWB2efXzsp8DXZ1ps--VpnsT3SXhwmlIAmGWg-cMZUCHWmeWgf1BkpYVmxPHwVHsTRT3_C_O-WdQ6HQJyGeU5JMRgL3AjLZhvD593Oa5xPCur_mbbO2owKBnZY1TJoeArR_19UmCFIkhDmE3-VrI5h8jSHIaLhRplTwZowQBFjS_op_Kx0e4h7TBeB4V2Br7MGroZ_K4ig=w993-h662-no

MjX8dc_ePZpBfmyQbi4Np0y7Ew-pR2QUnkA8uRBgSQZh55gzcNHNs4haXLa-1LWZlvXthIuZx46xHF86eQ2cGpzEHO68JMB4YRxF2PBwCx-vNkVGmDAEjjHiA8hKYig3fhNrWSM3M8jsSCJNJdnf2YQp66NyIIXOlIDR9B1Tl8eKYuqn57pmfQzmw-jDQvCikge8Kzj198vYJja5N0ceE3bD-Y4KdMM1eRIn_ndoh3s40AZ4JYDzXsxKH7bOK1NO971FBvFxBIecq9dJGMEwK4wBswNzYg5BI9SeiVVtXxA2ZnmJvhoDr0lzHT9PlZXlnGmU1BAEB2TBDfYRhEGwOsf-nmQ7gg7M8izU7tqTG-t1g9SUXZjLWYywKQKhU2c73lvRuDifBMl6CZPuxMZsDuUQJNK7D96z9pfEtlR8SndPgpT2tqATUoDF4Sqtc5oI9pp2ttaRtmld9PHGGk7o4RN3J2g0cKRc8gSdkh6Erk1eo-SK0O6rUBsyRxajFCZwwTJE0CrFmN5a02HLD52-kOnuqHBp-Z1TQziD1tsmi2Jll5frJF_L_O1evGUMHVTwDnCUPQ000U2pJAxDI-slLYyIt-GL0IOqarwd-cae8g=w993-h662-no

If you think ducks are cute, you might need to get yourself some Calls. Their cuteness is on steroids. This is Cupcake, my silver magpie Call:

f7PldyzRjrWT0KgcviobbW-SqQqtTR9YJBIXi9ZblEtMcluVQNBB8U55ifWPS0IwnEkk9q9ZRI_X2boKl2zO4doLqqD2hSXKIRYZFG6i-X3UbTWDdtsIkouECKAVG6NkDExoJRiYYiEtIdWpADxpygsBeL4kKluFjtgjTIH_ENge2kbjHMYK2R_TaqgS2rhObT8m8Btjzvtgi9B09X6jSoH0a3LCzE5IXdMdhlqJs6wG_i1yz8xxN9JIAI3sB90D6x0CMlQu26zS7GynnJ43I1BaFvRGuMCqc1sIWBUN2cgd6X3gWmmcKCpYM5I2Xd2M1eC70DA-2ruZAvMyhVSdqAnSTqV__ED2htFZFHJdMoDVKFvYANV2Er_Y-cI2_44zt272vxZsYuzPFNg6gHLCFt_i6WkqAd9DpPFw_O9bmQNkRTZCvC-vLm5bO_RpOBDS09fFkS8Z9yAauT1kzr79QLvmj5Et_C1sEzheN3eYUiWRsKFcx0gQvkMNdDQerXl1Ui4tzdJk0gXOsVffR1I3nsAownLF8kMGIgVh1W3-hjcwaKp2RF6-xsBroBzJ4NwBCqrXotl4o8ERhU1CteW85ELvmb5RIZZkEKqgdsC9Qw=w993-h662-no

Is anyone interested in some peachicks (baby peacocks)? I have two I need to sell, it really should be three but I'm torn on which male to keep. One India Blue Pied and one Purple. They're very sweet and I hate to see them go, but I can't keep them all.

Is anyone interested in some peachicks (baby peacocks)? I have two I need to sell, it really should be three but I'm torn on which male to keep. One India Blue Pied and one Purple. They're very sweet and I hate to see them go, but I can't keep them all.
yes!!!
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom