Vermont

Pics
Keara,

That would be fantastic! I have been contemplating getting one or two more, since I have plenty of room and I would really like at least a couple eggs per month
big_smile.png

I have not tried wooden eggs, but I have tried a golf ball & easter eggs as ploys. I haven't heard any "egg songs" lately either. My rooster is fairly young still and doesn't seem that interested in the hens, yet! Thanks for the suggestions
smile.png

Mari - Hi! Thanks for the welcome, everyone seems so friendly on here!

momdogz,

yes I do butcher, (or as we like to say, "harvest") our own birds. Usually just a rooster or two at a time, but I'll shout out the next time I do and if you feel the need for a refreasher course feel free to come on down. I don't have any marans up for sale at the moment.

Caitlin,

Just let me know when you are set up to add a few birds..... I always recomend quaranteen on any older birds, usually 4 weeks is enough. Can't be too safe! I have several mutt birds I do not want everything from a year old to about 18wks and just ready to lay. Mostly BCM mutts as that is what my rooster is.

Quote:
Keara,

If you do a refresher course on harvesting I'd love to check it out too! We will be adding some meat birds next year, or expanding to a larger dual purpose flock, and I'd love to know how to harvest.

Quote:
Quarantine is a good idea, at least 4 weeks, but the birds I got from Keara a few months back were healthy and beautiful. Since the weather is good you can get away with pretty primitive shelter for quarantine. We had an old turkey pen with just a floor, roof and wire sides. I wrapped a tarp on two sides and added a tote bin on it's side and a perch, plus something for food and water. They are still in that now and doing fine, I also fenced in a small paddock for them until our coop is finished.

Ok, thanks! I would be ready sometime early next week, if that is okay
big_smile.png
I really enjoy having the chickens around (the horses seem to enjoy their company too!) and they are quite addicting!

Hi, I live in Petersburgh NY.We shop in Bennington all the time...taxes are cheaper! Around here the TSC's are done with chicks.I do have a GLW pullet...if any of you are interested PM me
smile.png
And welcome to the site!

Last edited:
The little ones are doing very well, growing like weeds and starting to get their feathers on their shoulders. Out of the 13 I had to put one down for a broke wing and her head was crooked to one side all the time. So I now have four SLW, four Buff Orp's, four Speckled Sussex. Of the sussex i believe i am going to end up with an even split, 2 pullets and 2 cockrels. Only planning on having one rooster so the other is either headed for the pot or something. They all just graduated from the kiddy pool where I had them and now into a walled in space in the coop, which they are now treating as a race track. Sorry for no pics will work on that later today.

Thanks for the kind words about my birds Noymira.... glad your girls are still doing great.

Assuming I don't lose all my young roos to predation, I plan on processing a few in the next week or two. I'll let you know when and feel free to come down and watch.

A quick question... What does everyone feed your birds? If I am feeding my laying hens layer pellets - and they are free range most of the time - should I still leave oyster shell out for them?

Back
Top Bottom